The best over-ear headphones for £50?
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Narcosynthesis

New Head-Fier
Currently on the search for a new set of headphones, and to be honest the choice is pretty staggering and the reviews I have read seem to vary so wildly I am not entirely sure where to begin...

At the moment I am running an ipod nano and a set of Soundmagic e10's which are great, but now that I have been using them daily on the commute I fancy a bit of an upgrade... What I am after is a set of comfortable over-ear headphones to suit a range of music (rock, indie, metal, but branching out into electronic, classical, some jazz, etc...) that will give me a decent sound quality while walking along a fairly busy road. Being able to use them travelling on planes and similar is also a good thing, but I am happy going for a slightly larger over-ear style headphone if it gives me better audio quality.

At the moment I am using the e10's which are pretty good, but do occasionally lack a little punch to the sound.
Previously I have owned the Sennheiser px200 which sounded fine but weren't particularly comfortable to use for long periods, and latterly a set of Koss porta-pro's which again sounded good, but I am just not a fan of the build and construction.

Anything I do look at has to be available in the UK for £50, and I would rather not push the budget any higher than that, Amazon.co.uk is always good, but if I can find something locally then brilliant too.

The closest I have gotten would be the Audio Technica ATH-M30's for £50 which seem to be very well regarded, but there are just so many options out there I don't know where else to look...

Cheers for any help you can give me.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd also recommend the Philips uptowns (which I proudly own) and downtowns which go for around £30-60, great detailed headphones, some reviews say the uptowns are better then the audio technica ath m50s

hope this helps

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Those AKG's look pretty awesome, certainly going on the reviews. I will admit I would prefer to buy new, but they are available on Amazon in budget anyway :)

The Philips I will have to say however good they sound, I just don't like the look. Trivial perhaps, but still an issue when you will be wearing them in public a lot :wink:...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back