the best of the best for mid-fi
Jul 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nimbostruck14

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in a dilemma...

I am looking to buy a new pair of full-size headphones that will pair well with the magni/modi combo.
My budget is $350 MAX and i have narrowed my choices down to these sets of cans.

Sennheiser hd600

Beyerdynamic dt880 (250 ohm)

Audio technica ath-AD900x

AKG K712 pro

AKG K702 (65th anniversary edition)

hifiman he400

I am looking for a pair of headphones that will give me accuracy and detail.
I also would like to make sure it isn't sharp in the treble or recessed in the mids.
The bass i would  have to be tight and and controlled.
A very important aspect I would like in this headphone would be the soundstage and imaging.
Both would have to be appropriate and accurate.
I'm looking for a headphone with a flat sound sig that is still very detailed.

I will be listening to many genres including classical, jazz, blues, hard rock, soft rock,
80's rock, 70's rock, alternative, a little pop, and lots more.

My current headphones include the vmoda m100 for my electronic, pop, and hip-hop tastes.
Also the Westone 3 for on-the-go listening. (I use them for detailed listening sessions but I have to EQ them A LOT)

Overall, I am trying to buy a headphone with a slightly more critical/detailed listening experience.

oh yeah! they need to be pretty comfortable for long listening sessions
Thanks for all of the impressions, recommendations, and thoughts
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 10
K 712 over HD 600 due to soundstage.

The DT 880 is too bright for you.

All that said--there are many excellent cans in this group and many have quite different sound signatures.  You would be doing yourself a favor by listening to as many as you can before deciding.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 10
HD600 has the fewest weaknesses based on what you want (some bass roll off).

If you EQ, DT880 would work too as it has better bass than the others except HE400, and more detail and better soundstage than the others except the bass light K702.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 10
All that said--there are many excellent cans in this group and many have quite different sound signatures.  You would be doing yourself a favor by listening to as many as you can before deciding.

+1

Also this next one depends on the individual YMMV... eg audition the same headphone in different locations & you may have a difference in assessment. (of course equipment, burn-in etc are variables, the point merely is about being able to assess the sonic potential of your headgear, so differences can be useful in this case)

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks so much everyone for all of the replies and comments!
I really appreciate it!

I actually have listened to many of these headphones.
I listened to the hd600, akg k712 (didnt get much time with them), and the he-400 (thought they were horrid
Overall I really liked the hd600. I remember liking the akg's but i couldnt remember much of the sound at all.
I honestly can't stand the echo-like sound of the he-400. For some reason i thought they had the most shrieking highs as well

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 10
  Thanks so much everyone for all of the replies and comments!
I really appreciate it!

I actually have listened to many of these headphones.
I listened to the hd600, akg k712 (didnt get much time with them), and the he-400 (thought they were horrid
Overall I really liked the hd600. I remember liking the akg's but i couldnt remember much of the sound at all.
I honestly can't stand the echo-like sound of the he-400. For some reason i thought they had the most shrieking highs as well

Sound like you need a second listening session with the AKG's--preferably at the same place than also demos the HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back