The Best of J.J. Cale
Jul 24, 2008 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

andyalfa

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve just spent the lunchtime listening to Naturally, the debut album of one of my great musical heroes, J.J. Cale.

As “Call Me The Breeze” came on, I thought, “this is my favourite J.J. Cale track ever”. Then “Call the Doctor” started, and I thought ”no, actually THIS is the best one”…until the open bars of “Magnolia”. So it went on. “Crazy Mama”, “After Midnight”, “River Runs Deep” and so on.

What I’m trying to say is that I simply can’t decide which is the most quintessential J.J. Cale track of all time? It could be any of the above, and this is just one album. There are loads of others to choose from. Shades, Guitar Man, Shadows, Tulsa & Back, The Road to Escondido...

What do you folks think?

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 4
That's the trouble. So many to choose from. The guy has been putting out classics for over 30 years and it's hard to know where to start, so I picked Naturally.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 4
great place to start...the beginning usually is. naturally and troubador are probably his better known albums. i like okie personally, just for the fact that songs were recorded on is porch (hometown boy, WHAT UP TULSA?!?!?). to tulsa and back is a great album too, really disappointed that they didn't press this on LP. i like road to escondido, but clapton sings too much, i wanna hear jj more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back