The Best Mint?
Aug 3, 2003 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gastro54

100+ Head-Fier
In your all's opinion, what would be the best sub $100 MINT to get. (i.e. headsave, fiddler, etc)?

I have heard stuff about MINTs in relation to other types of amps such as CMOY, Meta42, etc but want to know how some of the popular MINTs compare to each other. Thanks a lot for your time.

Aug 4, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Realistically, the sound differences will be in the parts choices more than the builder. The MINT is not a type of amp, but a circuit board sold by Tangent.

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I have recently let me build a MINT by JMT...
I would advice you to look in Mall-Fi for DIY'ers who do it. Most of them have home pages with prices. You can compaire them yourself.

I doubt that MINT's differ in sound when you look at different DIY'ers. Just be sure to buy one with 8620 opamp. A wall-wart connector is also a good choice.

Have fun!

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 7
It's all good: Tangent, JMT and Eric343 are all expert craftspeople -- my portable META by Tangent was obsessively researched and sounds particularly amazing. But all three of these gents are aces, and a pleasure to deal with, so it's useless to compare. I like to let them experiment a bit, to give them a challenge of some kind, since it seems always to make the project more interesting for them and results in superlative work. I also love the fact that Eric's really young but thinks -- and builds -- on a seasoned professional's level. I love the home META he built for Radrd, who took care of it before selling it to me as if preserving a religious artifact. (Radrd is an exceptionally honorable seller, BYW, and packs his equipment before sending with painstaking care.) Eric's so smart and conscientious that even mentioning his youth seems uncomfortably ageist.

I'm not promising that any of these people are available currently. I'm only saying that each of them is excellent, so commission one of them if you can.

OTOH, Tigger builds some species of META mint that might sound better than a CMOY. I haven't heard it, so I can't really say how it sounds.

Also: The cheapest option might be to create a WTB Used Mint Tin Amp thread in the Gear for Sale Forum.

One other suggestion -- if you can, pick a mint tin that's comparatively rare and fun. The veteran builders might help you out on that one. JMT had a rather nice mint tin archive when last I checked (though that was a year ago). I particularly like the Altoids tin with vinyl 45s on the cover.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I love the home META he built for Radrd, who took care of it before selling it to me as if preserving a religious artifact. (Radrd is an exceptionally honorable seller, BYW, and packs his equipment before sending with painstaking care.)

Stop, I'm blushing.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

IIRC, eric343 is out of the amp building business. From what I have read, JMT is an awesome choice, but there are others that you can check out. One would be Tigger, who has a web site and seems to be doing big business with mints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back