The best Liszt Piano Concertos?
Aug 22, 2005 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Factor

500+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to the Richter/Kondrashin/LSO Liszt Piano Concertos right now (Philips). The performance is off the chain, but the sound quality is not the best. I think I'm detecting some shady spot-miking and it seems like the master tapes weren't in the best condition when they digitized it. The sound doesn't ruin it for me -- Richter's playing is good enough that I would probably still like it if I heard it playing on an AM radio being fed through a telephone -- but are there any other recordings of this, preferably modern ones, that are worth my checking out?

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 16
Argerich is definitely worth hearing in PC #1. Zimerman is my top pic for great sound and both cto's on a single disc.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Argerich is definitely worth hearing in PC #1. Zimerman is my top pic for great sound and both cto's on a single disc.

Good choices! The performance (and sound) on the Arrau -- Philips are also superb.

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 16
Aug 22, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 16
you can't leave out Sviatoslav Richter's recording of it with Kondrashin!!!
basshead.gif

Its been remastered and reissued as one of Philips's '50 Great Recordings'.

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 16
It's a great recording in that it captures an unfathomably good performance, but there seem to be some clicks and crinkles in the tape they mastered it from. Don't worry, I'm not gonna sell it or anything.

Say... if you have the version from that 50 Great Recordings series, would you mind ripping the first movement of the first concerto in 192 mp3 and throwing it up on yousendit.com for me? I'd like to compare it to my version (Philips, 1995 issue) to see if the analog flaws are the same on both releases.

Aug 23, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Oh, I do agree that Richter is the best performance, but if sound quality is taken in to account, then Zimerman is my first choice (close to Richter in performance, much better in sound quality).

Aug 23, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 16
If you are upset about the philips sound quality, then you should get the bbc legends cd of the Richter/Kondrashin Liszt Piano Concertos. Sound quality is not a problem on this recording and the performances are outstanding. They are live recordings as opposed to the Philips which were studio recordings.

richter.jpg

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 16
- The interpretation by Kirill Kondrashin, London Symphony Orchestra & Sviatoslav Richter is the best in every way - the Barenboim one has better sound quality than the Krystian one - but the conductor blows the final minutes by instructing the orchestra to finish it ASAP. - Disappointing – great performance by Barenboim—but again – Richter’s one is so much better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back