The *Best* kit/premade power supply for a Gilmore Dynamic Balanced Bridge Amp?(links)
Jul 3, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 31
Both of these power supplies are obscenely overpriced - we're talking about 3-terminal regulator based power supplies here, not rocket science?!

The big benefit of regulation w/r/t small-signal amplifiers is the reduction of ripple, but these are headphone amps we are talking about, and they take a nominally line level input. Voltage gain is minimal, and current gain is not exactly in the same league as a Krell. A few suitably placed bypass capacitors are about all you really need.

If an amp design requires a regulated power supply to stop hum and PSRR problems, then that amp needs to be redesigned (paying better attention to trace widths, placement and routing more than anything else as it is difficult to make an amplifier so poor with modern op-amps).

Jul 3, 2003 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for the input...I made a Gilmore power supply based on the Antness v1 PS board, and it was not all that stable until I tuned it extensively, and I still have my doubts...this is why I was looking at the more commercial designs. I was hoping to make something better this time around...at least something not using diode bridges. Also, I would rather not etch something myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

BoyElroy (I think) came up with this board, and I like it, but I don't want to etch it (and it seems to have a lot of wasted space). Even it might be too 'fiddly', when it comes to dialing it in:

Jul 3, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 31
Hmmm, it is true that attempting to regulate the rails in power amps often results in stability problems - after all, a voltage regulator is a power amplifier with unity voltage gain, non-unity current gain and plenty of negative feedback! - but the same effect is not common at the levels typically encountered in headphone amps.

If you need a dual-output regulated supply and don't wish to etch your own boards (which is understandable!), then try some of the places that make kits geared towards electronics hobbyists, rather than audio hobbyists! You can always substitute "shee-shee" parts for the "crap" that the kits will come with and you'll still save a bundle. I rounded up a few power supply kits below:

Scroll to Kit 83 on this page

Dual Adjustable PS w/ Tranny

Dual Adjustable PS w/ Tracking

More kit links...

Velleman and Rainbow are very popular kit makers, and of dependable design and quality, IMO.

Jul 3, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 31
Another way to go is to get a commercial open-frame linear PS from ebay. I've gotten several of these from time to time for prices in the $10-20 range. Look for Condor or Power One.

Jul 4, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Ben_Tech
The question is. . . would it 'sound' as good as the Gilmore designed supply.
smily_headphones1.gif

You are kidding, right?

Jul 4, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 31
I assume 15VDC @ 1A is plenty even for the Balanced Gilmore? Spec according to Mr. Gilmore is 16.4VDC. I don't seem to have any trouble running my standard non-balanced amp at under 16.4VDC, but wanted to run it by you guys first.

Jul 4, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 31
If an amp design requires a regulated power supply to stop hum and PSRR problems, then that amp needs to be redesigned (paying better attention to trace widths, placement and routing more than anything else as it is difficult to make an amplifier so poor with modern op-amps).

I'm sorry to say jefferyj is lacking in experience. It has nothing
to do with hum problems. It has everything to do with being
a low overall open loop gain and full dc coupling that requires
a power supply to be dual tracking to keep the dc offset at
the output as close to zero as possible without the use of
the servo.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are kidding, right?

jefferyj is once again un-informed. These other power supplys
will not sound as good, they will not be as stiff or low noise.
Whether or not you can hear the difference is another matter
but the difference certainly can be measured.

Jul 4, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
quote These other power supplys will not sound as good, they will not be as stiff or low noise. Whether or not you can hear the difference is another matter but the difference certainly can be measured.

Kevin,

What do you mean by a power supply that is stiff? What would you measure to illustrate it? Thanks.

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Kevin,

What do you mean by a power supply that is stiff? What would you measure to illustrate it? Thanks.

Low output impedance.

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
Quote:

I'm sorry to say jefferyj is lacking in experience. It has nothing
to do with hum problems. It has everything to do with being
a low overall open loop gain and full dc coupling that requires
a power supply to be dual tracking to keep the dc offset at
the output as close to zero as possible without the use of
the servo.

Wow, Kevin. I didn't think you'd be one of those types so common at diyAudio where pride/ego compels you to be rude when you disagree with someone, but I guess you are...
frown.gif
Claiming that I am "lacking in experience" and "un-informed" only paints you as, well, bratty. Furthermore, you didn't even provide any factual evidence to back up your assertions that I am even wrong, much less lacking in experience and un-informed.

The actual truth of the matter here is that the closeness of tracking between the two rails has little to do with the PSRR of the amplifier itself. A properly designed gain stage will use current sources, not resistors, to set the collector/drain currents, automatically providing a substantial amount of rejection to variations in supply voltage! A current regulator provides immunity to voltage changes just like a voltage regulator provides immunity to current changes. It's really that simple.

Next, the DC offset of the usual differential pair input is primarily determined by the mismatch in beta between the two transistors, secondarily by mismatch between the Vbe's. Differences in rail voltages that don't result in asymmetrical clipping will have no effect on the DC offset! (I am assuming the use of bipolar transistors here both for simplicity reasons, and because bipolar always perform better than FETs if high input impedance isn't necessary. Always.)

Where is the fault in my reasoning? If you can illustrate it without resorting to name-calling/rudeness, I will gladly accept my error. Otherwise you are just being bratty.

Quote:

---------------------------------------
said jeffreyj in response

You are kidding, right?
---------------------------------------

jefferyj is once again un-informed. These other power supplys
will not sound as good, they will not be as stiff or low noise.
Whether or not you can hear the difference is another matter
but the difference certainly can be measured.

How stiff is stiff enough for so wimpy a load as a headphone amplifier? 100 milliohms? 10 mlliohms? And how low of noise do you require for you amp design to sound good? I maintain my assertion that a properly designed amplifier will not be at the mercy of it's power supply! If you amp design is at the mercy of the power supply's quality, and you didn't put the power supply on the same board to ensure some level of control over its implementation, then you pretty much relinquished the perfomance of your amplifier to somebody else.

Finally, I can't help but point out the irony of your comment that "these other power supplys [sic] will not sound as good..." but that one might very well not be able to hear the difference. Of course, you are implying that the builder of your amp must have tin ears, though, presumably, anyone participating in this forum must have some appreciation of fidelity else why would they bother???

What amazes me about all of this, though, is that designing an amplifer to reject power supply PARD* is so much simpler to do than designing the power supply to exhibit vanishingly low levels of such.

* Periodic And Random Deviations.

Jul 4, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 31
jefferyj

I suggest you study the design i'm talking about and
then try to understand it. Then you should build one.
Then you can verify for yourself that with the servo
disabled the dc output level of the amplifier matches
the imbalance between the power supply rails.

Not being snooty, i was probably just like you. 35 years ago.

There was plenty of discussion about this particular amplifer
2 years ago. You can search both this forum and the headwise
forum. I don't have to re-iterate all of my design goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back