The Best In-Production Vinyl
Dec 10, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #77 of 108
Well it would seem there was no need to!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #78 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say though, huge thanks to sniks7 for the Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy recommendation. I am admittedly not particularly experienced with audiophile vinyl releases (I have a couple, some have been better than others, but I don't have many), but my mind has just been blown. It is awesome! I cannot believe it was recorded in 1954 and has basically just blown everything else I own (any format) out of the water.
eek.gif

I have it on order too and it should be here tomorrow, along with four Blue Note 45 RPM titles from Analogue Productions. I'm looking forward to it.

Most 1950s and 1960s jazz is very well recorded, though some more than others clearly rise to the cream of the crop. I particularly like the sound of a lot of Columbia and Verve jazz records from that period.

--Jerome

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #79 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by sniks7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sara K, Water Falls, stockfish-records.de

You can get a preview of the music on the website, so check before you buy, but this is another good high resolution double 180gsm that you can use to impress people with late at night. I do't love it, but I do like it alot.

Actually, I like this more and more. I wouldn't want a whole rack of music like it, but it's very relaxing and it does feel like the studio is only just the other side of the glass so to speak.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #80 of 108
[size=small]Traffic (180g Simply Vinyl)[/size]

traffic.jpg

I don't know if Simply Vinyl has closed up shop, but I haven't seen any new releases from them in a while. I know there hasn't been a lot of talk about them here on Head-Fi. However, I own about 25 Simply Vinyl titles and to be honest with you I have been extrememly satisfied with my purchases. The mastering has been uniformly good, and the pressings have been of pretty high quality with first rate packaging. I also thought their releases were on the very affordable side, since I paid about $23.99 for most of the titles I have.

This self-titled album by Traffic seems to have slipped from our collective memory of great rock albums. Forget the fact that Traffic was a mere stepping stone to a solo career for Steve Winwood. What makes this album work so well for me is that Dave Mason's folk infused rock provides the perfect foil to Winwood's progressive jams. This Simply Vinyl pressing sounds excellent, presented on 180g vinyl packaged in a nice gatefold jacket with heavy plastic protective cover that will last a lifetime. There are some still available, and I highly recommend you snag one before they all disappear.

--Jerome

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #81 of 108
Jerome did you end up spinning OK Computer? Was I just unlucky to get a noisy copy or was yours similar?

Just about to buy some 200G Louis and Ella LPs for my wife. Will report on them in due time.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #82 of 108
Hi Geoff,

Regrettably I haven't found the time to spin OK Computer yet, though I did give The Bends a listen a few weeks ago and it sounded great.

I will try to make some time and get it to it later today if possible. It's been tough because I have a lot of new vinyl coming in, plus a bulk lot of 200 vintage classical music LPs arrived a couple of days ago and I have been sorting though that as well. And then there is this thing called my job that I have to make room for and it's sort of important.
wink.gif

--Jerome

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #83 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jerome did you end up spinning OK Computer? Was I just unlucky to get a noisy copy or was yours similar?

my copies of OKC, The Bends and Kid A Capitol reissues are dead quiet, sounds like you got a noisy pressing.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #84 of 108
I've got one of the original pressings of OK Computer. Left it in its shrinkwrap for about three years before I remembered I had it. I give it a spin later and see what it's like. Recorded onto tape, wasn't it?

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #85 of 108
OK Computer, original pressing (I think), 180g
Sounds excellent. Hard to see what a new release could add..

The comments in the run-off are quite amusing too. Make sure you get those on any re-issue!

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #86 of 108
[size=small]Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (Analogue Productions 180g)[/size]

saxophone_colossus.jpg

This 180g 33 1/3 LP from Analogue Productions features mastering by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman, and it really shows. I don't have an original pressing of this title, but it is hard for me to imagine that it sounds any better than this. Beyond essential listening for anyone who likes jazz.

BTW, my Armstrong Plays WC Handy came in today and it was scratched on disc 1 side 2, so back it goes.
frown.gif

--Jerome

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #88 of 108
If you are referring to the Led Zeppelin reissues on 200g vinyl from Classic Records they are all out of print. A few dealers might have some of these left in limited stock, but you are going to pay a small fortune to get them.

There is a 4 LP Led Zep set called Mothership on 180g vinyl but I don't have it so I can't comment on the sound.

I have a few Black Sabbath albums on 180g vinyl: Black Sabbath (DMM), Paranoid (Warner), and Master of Reality (DMM), but I haven't listened to any of them in quite some time. I recall Paranoid sounding particularly good, but I wouldn't consider that a solid recommendation since it is somewhat distant in my memory.

--Jerome

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #89 of 108
I don't have the Mothership box, but I did buy The Song Remains The Same since it was the only Zeppelin album I didn't buy back in the day.

The quality in that box was excellent. Nice flat, heavy weight vinyl, with amazing packaging. They even pack the box with the vinyl in anti-static inner sleeves separately from the jackets (so there is no damage or scuffing) and added a sheet of bubble wrap on top of the stack inside of the box (again to prevent movement and scuffing). I've never seen more detail to packaging than that.

The material was sourced from a new digital master, rather than the analog original master, FWIW. It sounds very good for a live show. I think the general consensus is that is is better than the CD/DVD versions since vinyl allows for more headroom/less compression.

My guess is that the Mothership box has been produced with the same level of quality. My understanding is that it is also digitaly sourced, but better than CD's. I haven't bought it since I have all of the material on vintage vinyl (including a RL mastering of Zep II). I'm tempted to check it out though because it will be dead quiet (based on my experience with the TSRTS box) and folks over on the Hoffman forum say some of the tracks are better than the original pressings (even though it's a digital master).

Hope that helps...

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #90 of 108
Ah Led Zep. I wish. My system can't really handle that sort of thing with any effectiveness so I gave all those releases a miss.

And they did a release on cd that was so sharp you could have etched glass with it..

I'll just have to put up with Big Log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back