The Best IEM's for 150 or less
May 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

aqwayne93

New Head-Fier
Hey guy's I'm new to head-fi, first of all I would like to say hi = ]

Now, I am new to this whole world of IEM but I have done my reserch.
Comfort, sound isolation, and bass is big to me. I want to be able to go on a bus with teenagers, loud music and crying babies, and still not hear them at all. And when my parents yell at me I will be a peace with me music
cool.gif

I am not bass crazy at all, but I do listine to a lot of rap and hip-hop. Mids need to be clear and clean. The highs I do not really care for as I sommely listine to classical ect....

Any Suggestions would be appreciated, I am thinking of Westione UM1, Shure SE210, Denon C551. I will not be buying a amp anytime in my life. Oh and yes this is for my ipod.

May 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 24
You can easily find ER-4P for under $150 on Amazon. The only problem I have with them is their horrible cable, but the driver pods can be removed and fitted with a new cable quite easily.

May 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Er-4P are good phones and isolate really well, but seem to be more analytic than what you are looking for. SF3/5 depending on your budget might be good. SF3 is thinner in bass but will get better with time, the 5s are fairly bassy for high end IEMs, so look there. Might be a challenge finding the 5s under 150 though, probably pretty hard. Um1s seem like a decent contender. Also, look at ER-6 i and it's various incarnations from etymotic, I think one of the er-6 models is bassier than some other offerings.

May 31, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can easily find ER-4P for under $150 on Amazon. The only problem I have with them is their horrible cable, but the driver pods can be removed and fitted with a new cable quite easily.

The lowest I can find is $170 for the ER4-P, care to share where you're able to get it under $150?

May 31, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lowest I can find is $170 for the ER4-P, care to share where you're able to get it under $150?

Here's ER-4S which is a nice step up from 4P for a mere $158.
Etymotic MicroPro ER-4S Stereo Earphone

I got mine from there, reseller seems pretty reliable. BTW, I received new, all black version with revised smaller resistor barrel.

May 31, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's ER-4S which is a nice step up from 4P for a mere $158.
Etymotic MicroPro ER-4S Stereo Earphone

I got mine from there, reseller seems pretty reliable. BTW, I received new, all black version with revised smaller resistor barrel.

Thanks for sharing.
Sadly, they shipped only within the US

May 31, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 24
Doesn't the ER-4S Need an amp? And the reason the ER-4P's are so good is beacuse they can be great with an amp, and works with almost all portable devices? correct me if I'm wrong

May 31, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aqwayne93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the ER-4S Need an amp? And the reason the ER-4P's are so good is beacuse they can be great with an amp, and works with almost all portable devices? correct me if I'm wrong

They are harder to drive that's for sure. I have no problem with them straight out of Zune, although volume is almost maxed out.

May 31, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 24
I got my ER-4P from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $120.95 + shipping. They were an open-box item and were missing one pair of tri-flanges and one pair of grey foams, and had some "damage" to the black plastic box (the lid had just come off the hinge, easily fixed).

May 31, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my ER-4P from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $120.95 + shipping. They were an open-box item and were missing one pair of tri-flanges and one pair of grey foams, and had some "damage" to the black plastic box (the lid had just come off the hinge, easily fixed).

That's definately a great deal. How often do they have such deals?

May 31, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 24
Head-Direct RE2s if you like hiphop. The Etys lack bass for that kind of music. Not crazy or overpowering bass. You could go the UE way with Super.fi 3/5 Pros. As someone else in this thread said, getting the SF 5 Pros for under $150 is near impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back