The best headphones for COMPETITIVE FPS GAMING?
Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

audi03nthusiast

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.​

My soundcard is Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD with MUSE 02 op-amp and Daniel_K drivers. Gaming with X-Fi 
CMSS-3D Headphone. I am searching for the best headphones for competitive gaming. The game I play competitively is SWAT4, based on Unreal Engine 2, using OpenAL API.

The headphones I am using at the moment are Philips Fidelio X2.

Do you have any headphone recommendations for first-person shooter competitive gaming?

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: head-fi.org/a/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-page-3

The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound): head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 29
IMO/IME the best headphones I've used for FPS gaming (I guess sort of roughly in order):

- Ultrasone PRO2900
- Sony MDR-F1
- AKG K701

My criteria are basically good imaging, good comfort, and good presentation of space. The 701 aren't bad, but they don't do "close in" as well as the F1 or 2900, which can make a difference in some games (again, IME). There's plenty of headphones that do a "good job" with gaming though, and to be completely frank with you, while I think the PRO2900 are probably the best I've heard for gaming, we're talking "the last 1%" relative to some other "high end" headphone (e.g. Fostex TH-900). Basically I don't think they give you any sort of extra "edge" over any other good pair of headphones, but compared to using speakers or bad headphones (like most "gaming headsets") its a significant difference. This isn't the easiest thing to explain, so I hope it makes sense - if not, ask, and I'll try again. :xf_eek: :beerchug:

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 29
The X2 is a great headphone IMO for gaming since its open with good enough detail and imaging. You really couldn't do much better unless you tried one of the AKG 7##s or went up to the HD800 IMHO.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 29
  The X2 is a great headphone IMO for gaming since its open with good enough detail and imaging. You really couldn't do much better unless you tried one of the AKG 7##s or went up to the HD800 IMHO.

This.

Besides that the K7xx series need good amplification. They will need more power than your current setup is capable to give.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 29
The K712 is more detailed in the low bass and is tighter with better speed, but comes at the cost of being harder to drive.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 29
It's probably not worth the extra cost imo just from a gaming perspective. I'd even look at the HD558, they're the same driver as the 598 (there's a simple foam mod you can do to make them essentially the same headphone).

Depending on the sound engine and the headphone's natural soundstage shape, some headphones might image better than others on different engines. Maybe.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 29
It's probably not worth the extra cost imo just from a gaming perspective. I'd even look at the HD558, they're the same driver as the 598 (there's a simple foam mod you can do to make them essentially the same headphone).

Depending on the sound engine and the headphone's natural soundstage shape, some headphones might image better than others on different engines. Maybe.

Just my thoughts.

I am specifically interested in a competitive FPS headphone for OpenAL.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 29

Just my thoughts.

I haven't been able to audition the HD558, but the comfort of the HD598 is only second to the HD800 in my view.  I think this is essential for gaming because ideally one should forget that they are wearing headphones, and the comfort of the HD598 completed this task.

EDIT: I don't believe the K712 adds any advantage over the HD598 in FPS gaming. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 29
OpenAL still probably is configured by the developer to their HRTF of choice etc. Maybe.

I don't think the engine should matter, is my point. Just play with the audio settings in game and try things out to see what works best. Everyone's ears are different, especially with treble which have a lot to do with imaging and staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back