The best friend for the Creative Aurvana Live!?
Apr 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nicolasete

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, i got my CAL!s a few months ago and i have to say im happy with them (good sound quality) but a bit underwhelmed, i guess mainly because i have them plugged into my onboard motherboard's integrated soundcard (100€ asus p5q-se deluxe).

I was thinking about making the next audiojunkie step and getting some source component for the Cals, so my questions is what piece of hardware do you suggest?

The main problems i see now is the low max volume, the lack of a noise-clean sound sometimes, and the lack overall positioning and WOW! factor of the sound (lack of dolby headphone?) (btw i gues i'd like DH for music, games and movies). I have read mad lust envy's guide and it gives a good rating to the cals, but it does not really clarify the source part of it.

I dont really want to spend too much money, but all suggestions are welcome. Also, it would be nice to know if the source would work well if i upgrade in a far future to a higher-ohm value headhpones (lets say... Beyerdynamic dt150 ^^)

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 6
it actually sounds like you have a cable problem. The Aurvana Live should give good positioning (one of the best I've heard, despite the small stage). I would try recabling them. It really isn't that hard, and you can buy a cheap pair of headphones to practice on, first.

---er, it really sounds like a cable issue. The Aurvana Live should have excellent unamped performance, and it doesn't benefit much from amping.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 6
i don't know... the positioning sounds the same as the first day i tested them. The directions are more or less good but the soundstage... the sense of spatiality is just not there.

Maybe i have explained myself bad... i mean if i need any extra piece of source hardware to get a decent sounding headhpones (soundcard, dac/amp etc) since im plugging them directly on my motherboard.

i believe you refer to positioning with the cable problem, but im still getting average volumes and underwhelmiing sounds and sense of space. And also i can't get dolby headphone anywhere, wich i believe shines with this headphones.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Amping wont help that much, I would consider a DAC for future investments, if you would like to go for desktop. If not, just save for new headphones :D

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I would look into the Asus Xonar series, if you want Dolby Headphone support. But, basically, what you just described is exactly how the Aurvana Live!'s are: very laid-back presentation with a small sound-stage but excellent directionality. You aren't going to improve that by amping.

I am suggesting a cable issue due to your "low maximum volume" and "lack of noise-clean sound" complaints. The Aurvana Live! is quite efficient and sounds very light and clear, and even the integrated audio should handle them well. If you have any other audio sources, try them. If the CAL!'s have the same problems (low volume + high-noise), you should recable them. If they sound loud and clear on those other sources, then the problem is due to your sound-card, and you will need a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back