The best for electronic music
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd600 are the best i've encountered for my electronica tastes. They are faster, brighter and more detailed than the HD650. They provide more thump than the DT880. They get my vote. I listen to practically everything that could be considered electronica, and I never find myself wanting for more.

The HD600 gets my vote too, would be a great complement to your SR225 too.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #62 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Potentially brilliantly, but you do need good stats in a good system. The HE90 is the best chillout/downtempo headphone on the face of the earth. The O2 (Mk1) is almost as good (smaller soundstage but much more focused imaging) with chillout and a lot better with psytrance, since in the right rig it has as much impact as any dynamic and far deeper bass. In a high-end rig, 'stats will do better with electronica than dynamics. But high-end 'stats are better anyway, IMO.

When you're dealing with not-so-high-end stats, then things don't look quite as rosy. The SR-003 does pretty well with trance, having the bass, the speed, and the impact, but lacking the treble extension and soundstage size. The SR-404 does pretty well with chillout, with its massive soundstage and excellent detail, but vocals are brittle and thin, and there isn't enough bass impact for psytrance.

The K340 combines the virtues of a 'stat with the impact of a dynamic. It sounds more like a high-end 'stat with some very strong but euphonic colorations rather than a low-end 'stat. It's missing deep bass extension, but that's it. It has everything else. Of course a) I'm talking about a well-driven, good-sounding bass-light version and b) I've never actually been able to persuade anyone to try a pair, which is a good thing IMO. Keeps the price down.

So yeah, in that vein - try Ultrasones! They're great! Honest! [size=xx-small](not)[/size]

How do Electrostats in particular handle sibilance compared to other mid-high end dynamic phones all other things being equal? I read the What headphones have you sold because of sibilance thread. Most of the headphones recommended here have been mentioned more then once in that thread including the DT880/990, SA5000, AD2000, and 750/2500. The HD600/650 would be considered less so but some say sibilance is a good thing anyway because it means they're just reproducing what was already there to begin with. I personally cant stand sibilance and its a make or break element of a headphones sound signature for me. Many have said the higher end electrostats SR 007, HE90/60 etc. are noticably better then the midrange stats like Sr-404 in terms of wider soundstage extended bass range and of course detail and imaging, but what about sibilance? Also, would Denon D5000 be a good phone for this type of music, I hear they're best for classical

Ok I just realized that the k340 are stats thought they were dynamics, but they terminate in a 1/4" TRS. Can I use them with any amp or do I need a special amp like stax have? How would you compare the K340 sound to midrange stax like SR lambda SR404 etc. Whats a good price for K340 Im seeing a pair on ebay for $200

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #63 of 63
I haven't yet received a decent sound from my bass-light K340's even though I have a pretty good tube amp. It just doesn't have enough power to drive those AKG's.

But K340's have shown little bit of the greatness that everyone talks about and maybe with proper amplification they could beat my RS-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back