The best for electronic music
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #46 of 63
Silent Shout by the Knife produces visceral, engrossing sound from my Deep Cup Darths. Perfect match.

However, some other albums bass comes off as excessively bloaty and thus its hard for me to recommend them as all-rounder electro cans.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #48 of 63
I think the only thing left to really do is get my lazy ass down to a store to listen to all the suggested headphones.

Sony SA5000
Ultrasone Pro 750
Denon D2000
Sennheiser HD650
I think the Audio Technica AD2000s are a bit out of my budget.
frown.gif

Does anyone know of any good places to check out these specific phones in the LA area?

Huckster-

I am by no means taking people's advice or opinions for granted. Hardly. It's actually the opposite, I take their opinions and advice too seriously. That's why it's so difficult for me to decide. Let alone I'd like to be confident and sure in my purchase because of lacking resources. (College money). If I could I'd buy all the headphones suggested and leave it at that. But after a while, all the varying opinions and bits of advice become just that. Opinions and advice. So yes, I do need to make a decisions for myself and for my needs.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #49 of 63
The only one out of your affordable bunch that will provide enough speed will be the Sony (don't know the Ultrasone, but I doubt it's a PRaT monster). Fast paced electronica with the others will propably turn out to become a very hectical and "excessive" experience. The SA5K has an annoying metal coloration in the mids section though.

Being a hardcore electronicahead myself, I've listened myself through quite some fons and finally ended up with DT880s for slower stuff and with modded Alessandros for all remainder. The old Sony CD3000 and the AT W5000 were also close to perfection, but finally got beaten by the Alessandros.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally agree!

although DT990 is a little overboard IMO.
wink.gif

a little OT, but i feel the same way and actually tone the high frequencies down on the dt990s through the foobar equalizer. after a couple years of experimenting with eq, i've finally found my favourite eq setting. it sounds like a slightly brighter hd650 now with a little more punchy bass. added with the comfort and soundstage of the beyers, it's an amazing combination imo.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #51 of 63
Would just like your opinions on how well stats do with electronica. OP said his budget is >1k so that would leave alot of great stat cans available SR404,303, lambda, etc. How does the speed and detail compare to the likes of the SA5000, DT880, D2000, AD2000 and other highly recommended electronic music phones. Also, the 750s get alot of recommendations for this genre but what about the 2500s? I would think they would do even better due to their open design so bigger soundstage right?

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #52 of 63
hd600 are the best i've encountered for my electronica tastes. They are faster, brighter and more detailed than the HD650. They provide more thump than the DT880. They get my vote. I listen to practically everything that could be considered electronica, and I never find myself wanting for more.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hd600 are the best i've encountered for my electronica tastes. They are faster, brighter and more detailed than the HD650. They provide more thump than the DT880. They get my vote. I listen to practically everything that could be considered electronica, and I never find myself wanting for more.

Listen to the guy with Richard D. as his avatar HA HA HA.

I like the HD600 > HD650 for electronic also!

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 63
I'm curious about how many of the people here that are comparing the Sennheisers to other models are doing so with a proper amp. I'll admit that the Senns are nothing 'special' out of most equipment, but when paired with my ß22 they absolutely sing. I'm speaking of both my HD650s and my girlfriend's HD580s (w. 600 grills + 650 cable).

I've had the Sony MDR-SA5000s for two weeks now and I do like it a lot, though they didn't make me like my Sennheisers or ATs any less. My overall impression so far is that they're detailed and have a very flat frequency response. They have an excellent balance between 'bright' and 'dark'.

But let's not fool ourselves...we all know that the type of electronica generally being discussed on this thread excels the most on loud speaker systems. No headphone driver can create that deliciously sickening bass that you feel in your gut. Once you've heard what a couple of kilowatts of power can do, no home system will stack up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only one out of your affordable bunch that will provide enough speed will be the Sony (don't know the Ultrasone, but I doubt it's a PRaT monster). Fast paced electronica with the others will propably turn out to become a very hectical and "excessive" experience. The SA5K has an annoying metal coloration in the mids section though.

Being a hardcore electronicahead myself, I've listened myself through quite some fons and finally ended up with DT880s for slower stuff and with modded Alessandros for all remainder. The old Sony CD3000 and the AT W5000 were also close to perfection, but finally got beaten by the Alessandros.

despite their faults, i think one of the main things the pro750s excel at is PRAT. they have excellent dynamics, they're quick, the music sounds close to you (and thus involving) and they pick up a lot of detail (which is very important in a lot of electronic music).

also, you brought up the dt880. i totally forgot about those, i really liked them for electronic as well because of their soundstage, clarity and comfort. someone who's used to the bass volume of the prolines would be underwhelmed by the dt880s bass though (even though the dt880s have excellent bass quality).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about how many of the people here that are comparing the Sennheisers to other models are doing so with a proper amp. I'll admit that the Senns are nothing 'special' out of most equipment, but when paired with my ß22 they absolutely sing. I'm speaking of both my HD650s and my girlfriend's HD580s (w. 600 grills + 650 cable).

I've had the Sony MDR-SA5000s for two weeks now and I do like it a lot, though they didn't make me like my Sennheisers or ATs any less. My overall impression so far is that they're detailed and have a very flat frequency response. They have an excellent balance between 'bright' and 'dark'.

But let's not fool ourselves...we all know that the type of electronica generally being discussed on this thread excels the most on loud speaker systems. No headphone driver can create that deliciously sickening bass that you feel in your gut. Once you've heard what a couple of kilowatts of power can do, no home system will stack up.
smily_headphones1.gif

very true, which is why soon i'm going to get a nice 2.1 monitor/sub system for the computer. and about the amp...well i'd imagine any headphone would sing out of a ß22 heh.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats true, but most people sadly dont have the opportunity to have a nightclub system in their home for various reasons!
tongue_smile.gif
I still think that electronic music of ANY kind can be enjoyed on a home system even at modest volumes, whether that be through speakers or headphones. You just have to look beyond stomach churning bass.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #58 of 63
Sub-$1,000, deep/robust (but never bloated) bass, relatively fast when needed, huge soundstage in width and depth...

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like a JVC DX1000.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would just like your opinions on how well stats do with electronica. OP said his budget is >1k so that would leave alot of great stat cans available SR404,303, lambda, etc. How does the speed and detail compare to the likes of the SA5000, DT880, D2000, AD2000 and other highly recommended electronic music phones. Also, the 750s get alot of recommendations for this genre but what about the 2500s? I would think they would do even better due to their open design so bigger soundstage right?

Potentially brilliantly, but you do need good stats in a good system. The HE90 is the best chillout/downtempo headphone on the face of the earth. The O2 (Mk1) is almost as good (smaller soundstage but much more focused imaging) with chillout and a lot better with psytrance, since in the right rig it has as much impact as any dynamic and far deeper bass. In a high-end rig, 'stats will do better with electronica than dynamics. But high-end 'stats are better anyway, IMO.

When you're dealing with not-so-high-end stats, then things don't look quite as rosy. The SR-003 does pretty well with trance, having the bass, the speed, and the impact, but lacking the treble extension and soundstage size. The SR-404 does pretty well with chillout, with its massive soundstage and excellent detail, but vocals are brittle and thin, and there isn't enough bass impact for psytrance.

The K340 combines the virtues of a 'stat with the impact of a dynamic. It sounds more like a high-end 'stat with some very strong but euphonic colorations rather than a low-end 'stat. It's missing deep bass extension, but that's it. It has everything else. Of course a) I'm talking about a well-driven, good-sounding bass-light version and b) I've never actually been able to persuade anyone to try a pair, which is a good thing IMO. Keeps the price down.

So yeah, in that vein - try Ultrasones! They're great! Honest! [size=xx-small](not)[/size]

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #60 of 63
So the AKG K340 combines the speed of stats with the bass impact of dynamics? I never really understood the difference between dynamics and electrostatics except that the latter has some really impressive and but equally expensive headphones like the O2s and the HE90 that I hear so often. But those phones are waaay out of my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back