THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,411 of 5,014
  Alicia Keyes takes the cake for me, sexy and soulful

My favourite Keys performance is of A Woman's Worth, performed live on the BBC TV show 'Later with Jools Holland'

This was when she was in the ascendancy and her performance was fantastic. Jools Holland, who mixes with the cream of talented artists from all over the world, was openly gushing in his appreciation of her talented performance. I think the performance was approximately 2001, and I do have it on a hard drive somewhere, but I can't find it on Youtube at the moment, unfortunately.

UPDATE, Sept 2015 - someone finally uploaded that performance:

Alicia Keys fans should also check out Angie Stone:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/675#post_7926189

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,413 of 5,014
Quote:

My favourite Keys performance is of A Woman's Worth, performed live on the BBC TV show 'Later with Jools Holland'

This was when she was in the ascendancy and her performance was fantastic. Jools Holland, who mixes with the cream of talented artists from all over the world, was openly gushing in his appreciation of her talented performance. I think the performance was approximately 2001, and I do have it on a hard drive somewhere, but I can't find it on Youtube at the moment, unfortunately.

Alicia Keys fans should also check out Angie Stone:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/675#post_7926189

I've never heard that one before, I'll have to try and find it. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #1,414 of 5,014
Recently discovered Amanda Marshall ...... powerful voice, and lyrically strong material.  Just ordered her album :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,417 of 5,014
Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshee's) and Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeah's).

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,418 of 5,014
Quote:
I'm Really happy this fantastic thread if up and running, again!

Yeah, props to Joe (mod) who was kind enough to unlock the thread, following my enquiry - thanks, Joe!

Let's hope we can get back up to speed, as this is (IMHO) quite literally one of the best threads on the whole of Head-fi

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,419 of 5,014
Yeah, props to Joe (mod) who was kind enough to unlock the thread, following my enquiry - thanks, Joe!

Let's hope we can get back up to speed, as this is (IMHO) quite literally one of the best threads on the whole of Head-fi

Mython,

Props and thanks to You and Joe for getting this thread back on track. I agree. This is one of, if not The Best Thread on head-fi that keeps me coming back again and again.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,420 of 5,014
Great to have this one back.

to celebrate.....

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,421 of 5,014

Wow I remember when this video had only 150 views.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,423 of 5,014
Just a relaxed reminder to folks new to this thread, that this one is of an unusually high standard and it helps keep it tidy and useful if artist suggestions are ones that haven't already been mentioned previously (there is a thread 'search' function, if you're uncertain whether or not an artist has already been mentioned here in this thread). Otherwise, it just becomes a minefield of overlapping repetition, and there's no shortage of other Head-fi threads that cater for that.

It's also nice if new recommendations can be in the form of embedded Youtube links, so readers can rapidly take a listen and decide whether or not to pursue them further (if you're not sure how to do this, feel free to PM me and I'll show you how).

Cheers.

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,425 of 5,014
Laura Marling - "Sophia"

Remarkably talented young lady .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back