THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Sep 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,186 of 5,018
Quote:
I don't know what she's saying but I Like it...Beautiful!  Thanks

Quote:
i dont know either! lol!

i just pretend the vocal is a part of the instruments :wink:

I always find it interesting when people on the internet point out that they can't understand the lyrics of a song. None of the people I know in real life have ever told me "I like this song, but man I wish I could understand what s/he is singing." Personally I've always though of the human voice as just another instrument. The only two things that come to mind right now that set it apart from most musical instruments are that each person has a unique voice, and that you can use words when you sing to express very specific ideas.

I personally actually find the possibility to convey very specific messages somewhat limiting in many cases; music without words can convey very abstract and not specific thoughts/feelings/atmospheres/(even stories) which are different from listener to listener and can change every time you hear the music. People can of course leave room for interpretation in their lyrics, but when that is not the case and they had something very specific in mind, they lock what they want people to get from the lyrics in place. That's not a bad thing in itself, but if the content of the lyrics is very uninspired, the words can really drag down a good composition. Once you've paid attention to bad lyrics in a specific song, it's hard to not hear them.

After all that I've just said, I'd like to point out that there are of course many songs that become a lot better once you understand the lyrics, and even a lot of songs that just wouldn't work on any level without the words.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #1,187 of 5,018
Quote:
1,100+ posts and no mention of Goapele .... 
blink.gif

I've had the good fortune of seeing her perform live quite a few times around the Bay Area and she always kills.  

I love this one..

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,188 of 5,018
Frou Frou:

Daphne Willis:

...and since I've posted the above cover of Adele's song, here's another that's nicely done:

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #1,190 of 5,018
Quote:
Eva reminds me of a few female soloists. Sandy Denny, Stevie Nicks, etc. Very smooth and no gimmick yodeling or yo-yo gliding her notes. Just pure, simple tone to present the melody.

X2   I like almost all songs from Eva Cassidy and Sandy Denny. For example, I do not listen to Gospel music at all, but when Eva sings it, I listen to her. 

Quote:
Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" best one imho. And she reputedly had a cold when it was recorded!!
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I like Eva's "Songbird" a little more. Her "Live at Blues Alley" is my second favorite album among all 2000GB of music that I have. Sometimes those two albums bring tears to my eyes.

Quote:
Has Eva Cassidy been mentioned yet?

I believe she has been mentioned many times within this thread. But she deserves to be mentioned again.  Sorry for being off topic: did you get that photo from my avatar  :)   
     "Somewhere" is IMHO not her very best album, but I chose that album art as my avatar because it shows a well-lighted photo of Eva with her full name.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #1,191 of 5,018
Christina Perri-

I believe she is underrated.  Her vocals are amazing and the recording quality of her album is fantastic.  Her voice really shines with great headphones.  She has a voice like Jewel that is almost hypnotic and every song is an enjoyable listen.

Christina-Perri.jpg

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,193 of 5,018
Sep 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #1,195 of 5,018
Sep 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,196 of 5,018
Quote:
Imogen Heap does "Blanket" in HD Live at Ronnie Scott's in London with Jeff Beck and Aussie Tal Wilkenfeld on bass (she's 26!)....WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBXjukKLeFw

The complete concert in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwSt2R54Xs&feature=related

Check out Beck's and Wilkenfelds' solos on "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" at time marker 10:22.

Yes, Blanket is amazing. It was the first time I heard Imogen Heap. Naturally I've been a fan ever since. It's a big shame the song isn't on the CD version of the concert. The BD is one of the best live performances I've ever seen and the recording quality is very good although both the BD and the CD are a bit too loud for my taste.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #1,199 of 5,018

For anyone who happens to think that no one in the K-pop genre can actually sing =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back