THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #752 of 5,010

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #760 of 5,010

Quote:
Aoife O' Donovan, of 'Crooked Still' (she was singing with Heather Masse in the earlier clip in this thread)

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of Crooked Still before.
If you like this, and you haven't listened to Heather Masse's "Bird Song" album - you should, for I would call it the exactly same style.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #761 of 5,010
Thanks, and I agree! If you go back a view posts in this thread, you'll see that posted (although not by me).

It so happens that because of the posts in this thread, I ordered 3 CDs last week, which I've been listening to all weekend on my J3:

* Heather Masse - 'Birdsong' (nice album but I find I actually prefer her live performances of the same songs, on Youtube! - really like her live performance of 'Hollywood' on YouTube, too)

* The Wailin' Jennys - '40 Days' (again, a nice album, worth the purchase price)

* Ruth Moody - 'The Garden' (Oh, wow, what a lovely album! SOOO laid-back, melodic, mellow. It's on repeat on my J3! Nothing spectacular or spectacularly original but simply a very pleasant, enjoyable album)

All 3 of the above albums are well-engineered and well-recorded.

Anyone who likes this kind of music should also check out Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily and Indigo Girls' '4.5' and 'Become You'.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #763 of 5,010
Sara Davis:

'Keep Walking'

and 'Banyan Days' is another of hers, though I can't locate it on youtube

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #765 of 5,010
Laurie Anderson is a genius and all, but I'd classify her more as a storyteller than a classic singer. Anyway...

A word of warning: Do not start going through this thread when it's getting kinda late.
(Don't ask how I know. You can thank me later.)

Let's see whether we can't contribute a few more names here.

It seems Johnette Napolitano wasn't exactly a household name earlier in this thread. Shame because she's a great rock vocalist with quite some pipes, which she lends to Concrete Blonde songs like this one:
Concrete Blonde - Heal It Up (Music Box,Hollywood 6/28/10)
Not bad at all considering this was 17 years on from when the song was recorded.

Staying in the realm of rock music but going back a bit further, those of you over the pond have probably not heard of Inga Rumpf and her soulful bluesy voice.
Frumpy - By The Way (live, 1972)

Speaking of things that are soulful, methinks the soul department is a little under-represented so far (which would be completely undeserved). So what about...
Minnie Riperton - Inside My Love
No wonder she was an inspiration to Kate Bush.
Or what about Chaka Khan?
Another fine voice from the other side of the pond:
Linda Lewis - Spring song
This list probably is extremely incomplete even by the standards of extremely incomplete lists. Feel free to fill in the gaps.

Back in ol' Europe, let's head to bella Italia with singer Alice, who became known with pop songs such as
Per Elisa (1981) (which, in fact, is a reprise of Beethoven's Für Elise)
...though I generally prefer her later output with high-profile international contributors, such as 1989's Il sole nella pioggia, where this is from:
Alice - Le Baccanti

And finally, back to the UK for a bit of an oddball...
Danielle Dax - Inky Bloaters
Sometimes described as a "toned down version of Diamanda Galás", she doesn't have the most ordinary voice but quite the range nonetheless. Her output ranges from experimental and cryptic to pop with biting political undertones, with all kinds of influences. A template for many modern-day indie artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back