THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Dec 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #151 of 5,010

Quote:
Quote:
Eva Cassidy.

And this is the best performance by a female vocalist...

I love Eva but sorry, Hayley rules.
tongue.gif

Great Dane-
I have a Hayley CD - River of Dreams. Bought it one of those days when I picked up a few extra for the heck of it. Title sounded kinda Billy Joelish. I think I played a song or two and moved on. If she is as good as/better than Eva Cassidy, I'm gonna listen again. I'll be in for a treat, 'cuz Eva is one of the best in her lifetime, IMO. In fact I'd do it now, but a couple pages back I saw Lisa Gerrard mentioned and although I have every Dead Can Dance CD made, it never occurred to me to look for a solo effort from her. (ever get that 'what a knucklehead you are' feeling?) I got The Mirror Pool and am listening now. So, Westenra is up next. Thanks for the tip, and thanks to whoever mentioned LG.

As for some I like that haven't been mentioned?
Melody Gardot
Diane Birch
Karin Bergquist (of Over the Rhine)

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #152 of 5,010
Amy Lee... Hands down my number one favorite.

Hayley Westenra is another favorite.

Simone Simons is amazing. I'm excited to be seeing her this weekend in San Francisco. Her rendition of "Memory" is one of my favorite songs.

Carrie Underwood. I've seen her live, and she sounds even more amazing in person than on her albums. Sometimes I'm disappointed when I listen to her albums now, as her superior live performance comes to mind.

Other favorites of mine:
Holly Brook
Lenka
Priscilla Ahn
Katie Melua
Ingrid Michaelson
Eva Cassidy
Norah Jones
... So many come to mind.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #153 of 5,010

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Eva Cassidy.

tongue.gif

Great Dane-
I have a Hayley CD - River of Dreams. Bought it one of those days when I picked up a few extra for the heck of it. Title sounded kinda Billy Joelish. I think I played a song or two and moved on. If she is as good as/better than Eva Cassidy, I'm gonna listen again. I'll be in for a treat, 'cuz Eva is one of the best in her lifetime, IMO. In fact I'd do it now, but a couple pages back I saw Lisa Gerrard mentioned and although I have every Dead Can Dance CD made, it never occurred to me to look for a solo effort from her. (ever get that 'what a knucklehead you are' feeling?) I got The Mirror Pool and am listening now. So, Westenra is up next. Thanks for the tip, and thanks to whoever mentioned LG.

As for some I like that haven't been mentioned?
Melody Gardot
Diane Birch
Karin Bergquist (of Over the Rhine)

The Black Opal is lisa at her best,in fact at her very very best.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #154 of 5,010

Quote:
Quote:
Eva Cassidy.

tongue.gif

Hayley's voice is lovely, and I bought Pure and Odyssey when they came out, but Eva still reigns for me.  Her voice is the one that I always return to.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #159 of 5,010
Anyone think that Amy Lee sucks in her first (Origins) album? She sounds so wispy and echoey.

Also, put a headphone loud and listen to it from far away. You hear a lot of 'nasally' notes in most of their songs. I really like Evanescence (emo kid signing in) but I just have a few gripes about them.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #160 of 5,010
^ I haven't heard Origins.

Anyway, my list:

Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gathering, solo)
Jane Monheit
Anna Maria Jopek (check out Barefoot or her live album, Farat)
Amy Lee
Eva Cassidy
Sarah Vaughan
Christina Aguilera (I guess she was "my first", and I still have a soft spot for her)
Pat Benetar
Sarah McLachlan (in honor of Christmas time, I highly recommend her Wintersong album).
Norah Jones
Doris Day

Also, does opera singers count?

Joan Sutherland
Maria Callas
Cecilia Bartoli
Anne Sofie von Otter
Lynn Dawson
Arleen Auger
Leontyne Price
Mirella Freni
Carolyn Sampson (a newbie, but a goodie)

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #161 of 5,010
Tori Amos, Jewel, Fiona Apple, Alison Sudol(A Fine Frenzy), Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Shakira, Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation), Charlotte Wessels (Delain), and I'm sure there is someone I am forgetting.....lol.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #164 of 5,010

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe there are a few here that remember a great French singer who I am sure was a heartthrob to millions in her day.

Yes, of course, Jane Birkin, the all time French goddess, but not really French since she was born in England. She did have a lovely voice!

Since when was Francoise Hardy born in England

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #165 of 5,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

von Otter +1.

Is it just me, or has she been a bit OFF lately, though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back