THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Apr 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #931 of 5,014
I'm enjoying Caroline Smith

sorry, the youtube linky thingy is not cooperating lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=bw1a2J6EVEQ

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #934 of 5,014
I'm sure most of you are already farmilliar with her but Kirsty Hawkshaw, and I'm sure most of you will recognize her from this song [I recommend you get the song as YouTube really kills it... [like it does everything]

Also Linda Perhacs -Here's a Vinyl I wish I had <.<-

Those are mine ;3

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #935 of 5,014
I heard a great new female voice do a fantastic cover of "Comfortable Numb"----- Her name Dar Williams........................Also Heard a outstanding female singer her name Sara K, "Water Fall"

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #936 of 5,014

Quote:
I heard a great new female voice do a fantastic cover of "Comfortable Numb"----- Her name Dar Williams........................Also Heard a outstanding female singer her name Sara K, "Water Fall"

I've long been a fan of Dar Williams; first heard her guesting on Joan Baez' 'Ring Them Bells' live album, released back in 1995. Her stuff is pretty well-recorded, too. Dar also covered David Bowie's 'Starman' a few years ago. I'd say she's mostly a folky singer-songwriter but she seems to enjoy doing covers of classic rock songs, every now and then.

I've not heard of Sara K, though, so thanks for that, I'll check it out soon.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #937 of 5,014
This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRI7gH_kro&feature=relmfu

I think I'm in love.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #938 of 5,014
I just discovered Within Temptation yesterday.  On my Westone 4Rs, with that rich open sound and beautiful female vocals, I get moved to tears when I listen.  If you like rock/metal and amazing female vocals, give them a listen.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #941 of 5,014
No Whitney Houston? Hmm. I personally think that her voice is the most precise and controlled that I've heard. She can hold a note hard and flat, or have it oscillate perfectly. Other people have their little flaws that make them sound unique, their little rasp, honk, or piercing voice. To me Whitney is characterized by her perfection, especially with "I Will Always Love You." I don't listen to Mariah Carey much, but from what I hear, she also has a technically precise and flexible voice. It just doesn't sound as rich sometimes as Whitney's.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #943 of 5,014
Tracy Nelson...from Mother Earth in the 1960s to her blues recordings from the 1990s til today...a powerhouse! Check out "Rock Me In Your Cradle," her 1970s recording off her self-titled album and when you get to the ski-jump vocals at the end, you will be a convert.

Jane Oliver...when she isn't imitating Johnny Mathias, she can sing the paint off the walls.
Dusty Springfield...a shame because I am sure, besides her soulfulness, she could nailed jazz as well.
Patti Labelle...what can you really say? It's Patti. The woman doesn't even need a microphone!
Kate & Anna McGarrigle...organic, stripped down harmonies that sound like angels with a gift to write incredibly real music. A true gift from Canada.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #945 of 5,014
For an otherworld experience:

Julianna Barwick  (Originally from The Magic Place album)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back