THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Feb 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #856 of 5,014
Janis Joplin, Norah Jones, Allison Kraus.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #859 of 5,014
Natalie Merchant, Suzanne Vega & Sheryl Crow in that order.

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #861 of 5,014
To be honest I pretty much like every female vocalist I hear.  Just can't get enough ever.   Even Yoko.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #862 of 5,014
I'm a big fan of female vocals. In a variety of genres.

At home I usually get burned for my female vocals. I really have a soft spot for jazzy singers like:
Norah Jones
Katie Melua
Madeleine Peyroux
Melody Gardot (recently discovered, My one and Only thrill is awesome)

But country/folk also offers some very good singers:
Alison Krauss (perhaps my favorite female vocalist)
Jennifer Nettles (Sugarland, I like her accent and power. Try her Sex on Fire cover. I think it's better than the original)
Kimberly Perry (The Band Perry, an interesting voice at least)
Shania Twain
Taylor Swift (of course)

And some others:
Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
Avril Lavigne
KT Tunstall
Zooey Deschanell (perhaps technically not the best singer, but I'm in love with her voice)
Kate Bush
Janis Joplin
Etta James (The power in her voice, recorded "At Last" at age 19. Amazing)

That's about it. I think that I can come up with more if I try harder. But these are from the top op my mind.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #868 of 5,014
You will never be able to post Lisa Hannigan too much, i cant get enough of her, shes gotten ~400 plays since you first posted one of her videos. That video is also great, someone on a recording forum i go to has a line in his signature that says something along the lines of "When an artist has a great studio performance, but puts out an even better live performance, that is when you know they are truly great" Lisa Hannigan is pretty spot on with that, Lykke Li(she has 2000 plays, Lisa is putting up a good fight though considering ive been listening to Lykke since 2009) also puts out a great live performance, too bad it doesn't seem like they will be releasing her MTV Unplugged performance on CD or DVD, or anything beyond a youtube video for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back