THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #4,494 of 5,014
I may be beating a dead horse, but Aretha Franklin's voice and singing ability is just crazy good.

Coming from someone who doesn't sing, nor study music formally:

-Many singers are trying to hit that note, but Aretha Franklin reaches the note without any trouble at all. Her effort is instead focusing on the "intonation" after reaching the note. Again, many singers would struggle to reach the same note, whereas Aretha Franklin is just toying around with the note.

-I would describe her "toying with the note" as I claimed above to be a type of flicker/wavering.

-Strangely, I would say her tone is "off" but it provides an engaging feeling. If she wants to hit a C note, it would be juuust slightly off to one side of the C. Like it's a real human singing. Also represents human emotion, as we all are not logical/accurate when passionate about something. Her notes are indeed somewhat "off" but I have a feeling it's on purpose. If that's the case, it would make the case that she is the best singer all the bit more convincing, if it's not convincing already.

-There's an effortlessness with the note, BUT at the same time effort imbued into it. I would say she doesn't need any effort to reach a note, but once she's there, she puts in some effort to vibrate the intonation (same point as point 1)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #4,495 of 5,014
I only have one true favorite. She has changed my life.

Floor Jansen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back