The best best over ear sound isolating comfortable headphones!
Jan 21, 2017 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

woodcarver

New Head-Fier
Working all day with my music(phone).
Often using electric tools, so am wearing hearing protection a lot(at the moment with axon 7 earbuds under them... Uncomfy) .

Slowly growing in my taste for headphones and music quality(last ones were German maestro 8.35 D)
I was hoping for some advise how I can block out most(all) sound for about eight hours a day, and still having comfy ears.
Enjoying a wide variety of music with at the same time having small noice monster machines in my hand.

Searching the best sound isolating and comfort headphones I came to the Beyerdyamic dt 770(35db sound isolation) , or with some more base the audio technica ath-m50x(36 db sound isolation) . I am leaning to the first because of the comfort.
But they are not that expensive, and wonder if there are higher quality or better preforming headphones on the market but just don't know more than this now, so would really enjoy some advice.

In order of importance
1. Soundisolating!!
2. Comfort shared with sound quality
3. Sturdiness (woodworkplace)
4. Price

Thank you! so much for your help, can't wait to see if the golden headphones exist for me!

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd recommend a custom IEM, personally.  They can be a little pricey but there are cheaper ones out there and you won't get better passive isolation.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi I am searching for same headphones as you that block most of noise and sound decent.
You are looking for DT 770 M (80Ohm) as they block 35dB but they are for drummers
DT 770 Pro don't block 35dB but only ~20dB
As for ATH M50X I can't find any info of noise isolation. At this site is wrong I guess
http://headphonesaddict.com/best-noise-isolating-earbuds/

Superlux HD-665 are super cheap and should block 30 dbA they are 40€
Extreme Isolation EX-25 25dB NNR and EX-29 29dB NNR

This are PDF
DT 770 M 35dB noise isolation

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_DT770M_EN_A6.pdf

DT 770 Pro

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_DT770PRO_EN_A7.pdf

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 10
  Hi I am searching for same headphones as you that block most of noise and sound decent.
You are looking for DT 770 M (80Ohm) as they block 35dB but they are for drummers
DT 770 Pro don't block 35dB but only ~20dB
As for ATH M50X I can't find any info of noise isolation. At this site is wrong I guess
http://headphonesaddict.com/best-noise-isolating-earbuds/

Superlux HD-665 are super cheap and should block 30 dbA they are 40€
Extreme Isolation EX-25 25dB NNR and EX-29 29dB NNR

This are PDF
DT 770 M 35dB noise isolation

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_DT770M_EN_A6.pdf

DT 770 Pro

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/media//datenblaetter/DAT_DT770PRO_EN_A7.pdf

You might also check out the Rock It Sounds R-Shield. I can't tell you how many db of passive noise reduction it provides but it is a goodly amount. And it's quite affordable ($49.99).

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Dont know your budget,but the new Mr.Speakers AEON sound phenomenal and are extremely light and comfortable

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 10
You could also check out Oppo PM-3 and Fostex. I haven't compared them, but maybe some others can chime in with noise isolation comparisons. I would be interested to know how much noise is blocked out comparing pm-3, aeon, nightowl, and some of the fostex variants.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 10
old thread but a very useful topic for office dwellers needing isolation. as the op was mainly looking for isolation foremost, i'll list my opinions in terms of outright isolation, not sound quality. i've owned all of the sets listed so this is all from firsthand experience.

excellent isolation (minimal sound intrusion and/or external leakage):

t70
dt770 & dt1770 (equal isolation imo)
alpha dog and alpha prime (equal isolation imo)

good isolation (moderate sound intrusion and/or external leakage):

nad viso hp50
b&o h6
m50x
msr7
pm3
srh1540
urbanite xl
ether c and aeon c (equal isolation imo)

poor isolation (high sound intrusion and/or external leakage):

k550
th900
t5p g2
nightowl
w5000
a900x
amperior

a few detailed notes: i sit in an office where my neighbors sit within arms reach of me. it sucks...bad. isolation is a major concern for me when it comes to work headphones. oh, and my cubemates are all pissy when it comes to sound leakage, they'll complain if they hear ANYTHING....

the t70 is hands down my best isolating headphone to date. not much gets in, especially once playback begins, and nothing gets out. it, along with the dt770/1770 are the only headphones to date that pass the pissy cutemate test at my desired volume levels, they cant hear a peep even at fairly loud volume levels. the alpha dog/prime are almost as good, but i have to turn the volume down just a touch to not disturb the cubemates. still very good isolation, but not quite as good.

all the "good" isolation headphones leak a bit outward and dont pass the cubemate test. i have to turn the volume down to unacceptable levels to not anger the horde... in a normal cubicle environment where your closest neighbor is 6+ feet away, they'd all pass just fine. i say this because i used to have a normal cube and used them all at work at some point to much success.

all the "poor" isolation headphones imo leak too much to use in an office unless you either have super cool neighbors, or you're in your own office with a door to close. all leak quite heavily and even at low/moderate volume, can be easily heard a few feet away. the th900 is the grossest offender here, it might as well be an open set (but so damn fun to listen to....)

the surprise for me was the nightowl. everyone i talked to that owned one said the isolation was excellent. and i trust these opinions/ears! unfortunately that was not my experience at all. i brought them in to work and put them on, and immediately all heads turned in my direction....yep the horde heard them... Being quite annoyed in general about the situation, i asked a coworker to try them on and slowly bring the volume level up to a comfortable level. this person listens at about the same volume i do, so i trust their "comfortable level". standing next to them, i started hearing them pretty quickly, far below what we normally listened at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back