The best battery-powered headphone amp
Nov 5, 2021 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dungie

New Head-Fier
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 13
hmm I'd say the Bakoon HPA-21 is probably among the contenders. Maybe the Chord Hugo2. Ah and the WOO WA8 is really great too.
The Stax SRM-D10 on a 009(S) is pretty decent too :)
Basically any DAP is a battery powered amp as well ...
Other than that there are honestly not that many great battery powered headphone amps I know. Anyone having any better/additional suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 13
Try Ifi Audio's iDSD Diablo

The best? Sony's DMP-Z1

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 13
Got it, thank you. I'm thinking of Colorfly C4 as transport (BTW should I consider any other DAP with SPDIF output and hard buttons?). What would be better - C4->SPDIF->Diablo or C4->Line->Ampersand? Any ideas or guesses? I'm just a little worried about portable amp/DAC combos, because I appreciate power, drive, dynamics, "meat" in sound, so I would leave most of the room in my pocket to a good amp.

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 13
IDK, Colorfly C4 is a bit dated. There are other new stuffs that provide you with streaming capabilities and MQA.

Popular combinations usually are Smartphone + DAC/Amp, DAP + Amp, dedicated DAP or Smartphone only.

I personally have done away with a dedicated Amp (not needed). Since during travel I seldom have the opportunity to have critical listening.
During communte I have always noise around. Its only when in my room in the hotel or breaks in my office that I have found the ideal environment.

So now its my smartphone + IEM as EDC. I carry my DAC/Amp + Headphone on extended trips.

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Cayin c9 - tubes and solid state

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 13
since its portable and might get lost damaged etc I would go with the fiio q3 thx aaa for only $150. Won't ruin more than your day if you lose it. I own it and it has native dsd 512, usb-c in and pentaconn, 2.5 and 3.5 outs. Fits into any headphone case safely with a puffy neoprene mesh pouch to hold q3 and interconnects. clean thx aaa amp modules. power is good for almost any headphones w balanced. using focal elegia r now no probs single ended. bass boost is mellow and the q3 charges by choice so no draw down tho i saw some conflicting info on that power draw on off switch actually working when its close to dead. not worried its got 8 hours +.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back