The best bang for the the buck IEM's at 150$?
Apr 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Musicboy

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using my sennheiser cx-300 for one and a half year now, and they are almost dead. The rubber on the ends of the cables got loose and I think the cables are a bit loose too. Furthermore, I think they got wet, but I do not know if this can ruin them. The point is that I need a new pair of IEM's soon, and because I bought the 650's, I need something that fits my needs as a head-fier now
wink.gif

I am not broke, but I do not want to spend all my money on IEM's. The budget is 120$-180$.

I have been looking at the ER-4S Etymotic, because first time I saw them in a store, it was almost the double of the price tag as it is today. The ER-4S are 170$ at Amazon.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 35
I'd go for Etys, or wait for the Head Direct RE1 to be officially released. They sound very fine and will be in the price range you are asking for. I plan to review the pair I'm auditioning in a week or two.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 35
I am not going for custom fit like the Freqy, as sunneebear suggested. I think they are too large. I need ultra portable. FeedMeTrance, I know the ER-4S are the same as ER-4P, it is just a different cable, but the S cable should be better?

The head Direct RE1 sounds very interesting. Maybe I will wait for the auditioning before buying.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 35
Get the ER4P and an adapter. That way you have both earphones. I find I like the P out of my iPod, but the S out of my amp.

For Ultraportable, I'd go the SF5, they are great, and fantastic out of my iPod, got better with my Tomahawk

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 35
from cx300 to er4p/s? thats like the most opposite iems i can think of
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 35
Get the CrossRoads MylarOne X3is... around $60 for amazing sound and plenty of tight bass. Sure they are cheap and plasticy (not the drivers in them) but sound amazing.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 35
Denon C700.. and wait, you have an amp. So Er4s should be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw. i try to explain what dranoel4190 said. CX300 is really bassy and muddy with weak mids and highs, while ER4p/s sounds really good on the mids/highs, bass in quantity is much less than CX300, but much more tight and controlled . From what i've known, er4p/s is really good for classical.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DBtw. i try to explain what dranoel4190 said. CX300 is really bassy and muddy with weak mids and highs, while ER4p/s sounds really good on the mids/highs, bass in quantity is much less than CX300, but much more tight and controlled . From what i've known, er4p/s is really good for classical.

Sweet! I find the CX300, muddy and overbassy, just like you said they where. I am looking for tight and deep bass, good mids and decent treble. Maybe ER-4 is what I have been looking for so long.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 35
Futuresonic Atrio M5/M8's!

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 35
Ive been using the E4s for over a year now and love them. I had to get the tri flange and cut the end off to fit to my liking.

I love the highs and mids on the e4...some call them alittle bass shy. I find this to be true. Id rather this light bass to be honest. It less on the ears. Its a deep tight and controlled bass...its not as bass shy as the ER-4s though.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 35
HighLife, do you think the bass the ER-4 produces would be nice if boosted with eq.? I too think too much IEM bass is very hard for the ears. With the cx-300, I had to take a brake because of the over bass, but even though it is nice with some genres to have bass boost.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 35
To me, any bass thats boosted in EQ sounds bloated....even more so with IEMs. I dont need a thump to hear the bass...just a nice tap of the bass is enough.

I have heard the ER-4s and they are FANTASTIC...the bass is very light though...even so compared to my E4 and they are pretty bass shy compared to others. This is why i went with the E4 instead of the ER-4s. I tried the ER-6i which are ok, but their build quality turned me off to them. The cord is SUPER thin and i can see it breaking with a light tug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back