The Best All-Around IEMs for $150 or under
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #76 of 84
I definitely agree with your choice of M5's at the top. I am VERY happy with mine. The only thing I'd disagree with is ease of insertion, I feel it just takes practice and finding the right tips.

Oh, and don't be afraid to amp the M5's!! Mine responded well to the Pico. With an amp I think you can bump the Treble and Clarity rating up to "Good".
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the bump.

Maybe it's any use for some of you - here's my personal opinion on the canalphones I own (best on top, worst on bottom, and of course "IMO"):

IEM-Comparison.gif

Hey could you describe why you prefer the M5s over the Q-Jays? The chart is good, but it lacks the personal touch. (I am trying to decide between the Q-Jays and the M5s)

Thanks

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #78 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey could you describe why you prefer the M5s over the Q-Jays? The chart is good, but it lacks the personal touch. (I am trying to decide between the Q-Jays and the M5s)

Thanks

More bass, better soundstage, less fatiguing, more comfortable, way better isolation... that's why I prefer the Atrios.

(I need to edit the "comfort" fields in my list... I just thought the q-Jays were more comfortable at the beginning, but long time use showed that they're not all that comfortable for me.)

The q-Jays are way more precise, with better treble and clarity, though. Overall build quality and design is better as well.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #79 of 84
Now better build quality, would you say the M5s have cheap cables? I tend to break those, but I've read people with Q-jays and one side going out (regardless of filters)

How about taking them out? the size of the Q-jays makes it seem they are a pain to remove.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #80 of 84
The cables on the Atrios are ok. Maybe a bit on the thin side, but they feel sturdy enough. Nothing special, neither good nor bad. I've had no issues so far, and I also used the Atrios while sleeping, etc.

The Atrios are very easy to remove from the ears, since they're kinda huge and you get a good grip on the housing.

The only way to get the q-Jays out of your ears is by tugging at the cables, indeed. They're way too tiny to get a grip on the earbuds themselves. The q-Jays cables feel very good though, and they're supposedly using Kevlar filled tubings, for even more sturdiness. Probably the best quality cable I've seen so far on an IEM (but very microphonic).

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #81 of 84
Hmm I'm coming from an IM716, I found them to be quite sturdy (except at the plug, which is where they broke) They are like etymotic quality apparently.

hmm...but because of what you've told me I think I am leaning more towards the M5s
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #82 of 84
Wow... no love for Shure earphones here at all... Although for the $150+/- pricepoint, the sf5p is probably your best choice. I hate the fit of UEs with a passion though. Consider the Klipsch custom-2's if you can go over $150 a little. VERY comfortable, admirable performance, plenty of bass.

Although I am absolutely in love with the Shure SE530/E500, I honestly cannot recommend any of the lower offerings from them. Much better value for the money out there.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #83 of 84
The SF5 pro's are really nice for the price. If you do get them you might as well just order a westone es cable and call it a day. With that setup you are very close to the Triple Fi sound.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #84 of 84
cuz of this thread im getting the Future Sonic M8's
biggrin.gif

only $140 at road dog
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back