The Best All-Around IEMs for $150 or under
Jan 2, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, the Ety ER4P is just slightly more (depending on color). Of course, that with the Ety sound sig (bass is light, but on the money). Also, I really like the Altec Lansing im716s, which are $66 on ebay, and sold as low as $50 recently. They have Ety drivers, isolate tremendously, and have a very nice sound. Having said that, they do have a "pod" in the wire with some sound enhancements and a volume control. You can get the pod removed with DIY or though a pro, but they are fantastic IEMs for sound and iso, especially at the lower price. If you use an amp (a CMOY is good enough), you may not even need the podectomy. Just a thought. Search for them here and see what you think.

I don't own UE phones, but judging by the tips, they are more canal phones than IEMs, though I know you can use foamies with them too.

Hmmm...would the Etymotic ER-4P earbuds be a good fit for my musical tastes (Alternative and Rock)? The ER-4Ps seem like a quality pair of IEMs, however, I'm worried that this IEM won't have enough bass for my perferred genres.

Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by White|Stripes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...would the Etymotic ER-4P earbuds be a good fit for my musical tastes (Alternative and Rock)? The ER-4Ps seem like a quality pair of IEMs, however, I'm worried that this IEM won't have enough bass for my perferred genres.

Thoughts?

The bass is limited, but right on the money accuracy-wise. They are detailed oriented, for sure, and a very good, high quality pair of IEMs that focus on a neutral, clean, clear sound. I myself sold them to keep my Atrios, which are about the same price ($159 for Atrios, $160 for ER4Ps). I just favor the bass-oriented sound of the Atrios, which have enough mid/high mix for me (but not for others). And now I have the 716s to meet my Ety sound sig appetite. Of course, my main portable phones are the PK1s, but they are ear buds that really require an amp.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #34 of 84
Quote:

Hmmm...are their other IEMs in the Super.fi 5 Pro's price range that does a better job at isolating outside noise?

Yes, other IEMs in the price range do offer slightly better isolation, but it's really not a huge deal. The SF5 Pro isolate enough, I was just saying in comparison to some of the other IEMs that I've tried, they don't isolate as much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I commute 5x a week (2 buses), and I haven't had any problem blocking out outside noise.

Yeah, I commute 5 days a week on buses and Chicago's notoriously loud and old el trains and the SF5 Pro do a good job of isolating. Just not as good as my old E3c, but it works for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by osu1277 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it possible to wear the sf5s without putting the wire over the ear? if it is, is it reasonable in terms of comfort?

Yes it is possible, but since the SF5 Pro is larger and heavier than some other IEMs, it raises the chance of it coming out of your ear. The loop around the ear, in my opinion, is to make it more secure and take the stress off of the actual driver and transfer it to the wire over your ear. Personally, I think it looks better over the ear anyway. That's how I wore all my other IEMs.

Quote:

The biggest complaint about ER4 is that it lacks bass. Some people really treasure the sound of the ER4 thanks to its supposedly flat sound signature. I personally enjoy the sound signature of the SF5 Pro, which is stronger bass. To many, the SF5 Pro are preferred when listening to rock/alternative music while the ER4 are preferred for detailed listening and/or classical/jazz/blues stuff.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #35 of 84
Quote:

The clear and red Super.fi 5 Pros are still listed at $139.99 on Amazon.

However, the black and white Super.fi 5 Pros are $161.99 and $152.65, respectfully.

You should be able to get the clear ones for $130 off the costco website (shipped only to cont. us, website only).
Again, you should look into the denons. Most people haven't heard of the denons but at the $100 price cut, they're an even better deal. I don't know much about it myself but I heard it has even better bass than the sf5pro. Look around.

All etymotic lack bass. If you have a bass-boost amp though, the etys should perform very well. The westone ones don't have as "fun" a sound.

Here's a french review (translated) of the atrio, westone, jays, and the klipsch.
Translated version of http://forum.generationmp3.com/index.php?showtopic=60517&st=0&p=515032&#entry5150 32
At this point I'm very interested in the Klipsch.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #37 of 84
My vote is for the Atrio M5.
Very warm sounding phone, with decent mid and highs.
The sound signature changes after some pink noise break in period (for me about 70+ hours). Found them online through an authorized dealer (roaddogonline) for 139 delivered. Add in some Shure olives, and you are good to go. I used them with the ZenV+ and they were really great. However, I have since picked up a used X5L and they have really shined with the added SQ, EQ options, and wattage of the X5. Plus the sound sig of the Cowon is a bit bright (as opposed to neutral), so it matches up well with the Atrio M5 bass prominent sound.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #38 of 84
hmm, im on their website, looks like there in stock(m5/m8)
small hi jack, would any of the recs be good for listening
between rap and hardcore rock/screamo + all types of rock

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #39 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for the SF 5 Pro. DON'T get the EB though. Clear ones are only $139.99 shipped.

UE Super.fi 5

If you don't like the over the ear fit then I would suggest the Denon AH-C700. They sound fantatsic and are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

I'm really torn between the AH-C700s, Super.fi 5 Pros, and the Atrio M5s/M8s! I haven't really heard much about the AH-C700s, so I'm a little bit hesitate about purchasing them. Thanks, Richdel, for leading me to Road Dog Online. The Atrio M5s/M8s are now within my budget!

Another question: Which pair of the above IEMs would best suit the Microsoft Zune (80GB)?

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass is limited, but right on the money accuracy-wise. They are detailed oriented, for sure, and a very good, high quality pair of IEMs that focus on a neutral, clean, clear sound. I myself sold them to keep my Atrios, which are about the same price ($159 for Atrios, $160 for ER4Ps). I just favor the bass-oriented sound of the Atrios, which have enough mid/high mix for me (but not for others). And now I have the 716s to meet my Ety sound sig appetite. Of course, my main portable phones are the PK1s, but they are ear buds that really require an amp.

Roaddogonline took $139.99 for my Atrio M5s, and that included shipping. You have to make them an offer, or ask them for the best price, and see what happens. I've heard that they will usually take this amount, but not always.

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

I'm really torn between the AH-C700s, Super.fi 5 Pros, and the Atrio M5s/M8s! I haven't really heard much about the AH-C700s, so I'm a little bit hesitate about purchasing them. Thanks, Richdel, for leading me to Road Dog Online. The Atrio M5s/M8s are now within my budget!

Another question: Which pair of the above IEMs would best suit the Microsoft Zune (80GB)?

There is a huge thread here of people talking about the Denon AH-C700s. LEt me do a quick look.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/

That thread has alot of positive comparisons of the Denons vs the Super fi 5 and Atrio IEMs. For $100 decided to order myself a pair too.

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roaddogonline took $139.99 for my Atrio M5s, and that included shipping. You have to make them an offer, or ask them for the best price, and see what happens. I've heard that they will usually take this amount, but not always.

I really appreciate this info, Grommal. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #44 of 84
I just got a set of hte Denons to try against my Atrio M5s, and so far, I really prefer the M5 sound. The Denons have more forward mids and and a little more sparkle in the highs, but the bass doesn't sound as natural to me as the Atrio bass does.

That said, my Denons have only been burned in for about 20 hours, and I just lent them to my sis for a week. Will post up a real review when I get them back. My initial impressions were not as favorable as the Atrios, though (and I'm not a bass-head at all... or at least, I wasn't until I started listening to them).

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a huge thread here of people talking about the Denon AH-C700s. LEt me do a quick look.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/

That thread has alot of positive comparisons of the Denons vs the Super fi 5 and Atrio IEMs. For $100 decided to order myself a pair too.

WHOA...I just hit the motherload!
eek.gif

Thanks for the link, it was just what I was looking for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back