The Best All-Around IEMs for $150 or under
Jan 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno about the q-JAYS but I think I heard the Atrio can be found for around $140? I heard the Atrio has a lot of bass, more than the sufficient SF5pro (try looking around for pricing). For best comfort, the UM1 is it. Otherwise I would get the Denon for the $100 steal on Amazon. But then again...the new Klipsch line is just around the corner...if more reviews were out...

I've heard the Atrio M5/M8 has a ton of bass, and is a perfect IEM for the Cowon iAudio D2. However, the only place I've come across that sells them is Atrio's website (for $199). I've heard that a mouth or two ago you could get them for $130...

Anyway, how does the Denon AH-C700K and the Westone UM1 compare to the Super.fi 5 Pros? Are they as good as the Super.fi 5 Pros when it comes to playing Alternative and Rock music? How is their bass? Do they provide good insolation from outside noise?

(I apologize if I'm starting to get annoying...)
redface.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 84
The Denon AH-C700 ranks well for both sound, comfort, and value, though if you want "extra" bass, the Super.Fi 5 EB may be what you seek.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 84
+1 for superfis.

I had both superfis and Atrios at one point, superfis were undeniably the winner. Take my word for it, I use mine everyday. Blocking outside noise is A in my opinion.

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by baniels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where would the Atrio M5 fit into this, assuming no amplifier? I've heard good things about it.

No need for an amp with the Atrios. There is a massive thread on the Atrios hereabouts. Check it out. Meantime, you can get them below...from an authorized dealer, for $159. They are bass-based phones, but very clean, not muddy. Need 100-plus hours of burn-in. Most of all, completely non-fatiguing.

I had the Denon C700s, and they sound great. I didn't like the form factor (heavy, metal casings) nor the way they stuck out. SQ-wise, they are fantastic, very mid and high-forward, with good base and at $99, a great value. I paid $132 for them, and sold them when I felt the M5s delivered more of the sound I wanted. They are also technically canal phones, not IEMs. They used the standard silicone canal phone sleeves from a variety of companies (Sony, Philips, etc.), but you can squeeze the Shure orange foamies onto them if you want foam sleeves.

Road Dog – Pro Audio Shure Sennheiser Yamaha QSC Mackie Audix Tascam Audio-Technica Crown DBX Lexicon Aviom

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 84
My vote goes to the Super.Fi 5 Pros. They are great earphones and very hard to beat at the price.

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by White|Stripes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question: Does the Super.fi 5 Pros do a good job at insolating outside noise?

The SF5 Pro does a decent job of isolating outside noise, but in my opinion it does not isolate as well as some of the other IEMs that I have tried. However, it does reduce outside noise by 26 dB, so it is very useful when I am on the extremely noisy Chicago trains.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Amazon now has the SF pros listed for $161, not $139.

The clear and red Super.fi 5 Pros are still listed at $139.99 on Amazon.

However, the black and white Super.fi 5 Pros are $161.99 and $152.65, respectfully.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SF5 Pro does a decent job of isolating outside noise, but in my opinion it does not isolate as well as some of the other IEMs that I have tried. However, it does reduce outside noise by 26 dB, so it is very useful when I am on the extremely noisy Chicago trains.

Hmmm...are their other IEMs in the Super.fi 5 Pro's price range that does a better job at isolating outside noise?

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 84
Sure, the Ety ER4P is just slightly more (depending on color). Of course, that with the Ety sound sig (bass is light, but on the money). Also, I really like the Altec Lansing im716s, which are $66 on ebay, and sold as low as $50 recently. They have Ety drivers, isolate tremendously, and have a very nice sound. Having said that, they do have a "pod" in the wire with some sound enhancements and a volume control. You can get the pod removed with DIY or though a pro, but they are fantastic IEMs for sound and iso, especially at the lower price. If you use an amp (a CMOY is good enough), you may not even need the podectomy. Just a thought. Search for them here and see what you think.

I don't own UE phones, but judging by the tips, they are more canal phones than IEMs, though I know you can use foamies with them too.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by White|Stripes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clear and red Super.fi 5 Pros are still listed at $139.99 on Amazon.

However, the black and white Super.fi 5 Pros are $161.99 and $152.65, respectfully.

Sorry, only searched the generic title and the black ones are all that came up. They must be dumping the color/clear versions.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

I commute 5x a week (2 buses), and I haven't had any problem blocking out outside noise.

To me, blocking out outside noise depends on how much can the tips cover the opening of your ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back