The Best All-Around IEMs for $150 or under
Jan 1, 2008 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

White|Stripes

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for the best all-around IEM earbuds for $150 or under. I'm new to the whole "high-end" IEM game, so any advice as to which IEM to consider would be extremely helpful! In particular, I would like to know which IEMs would best exploit the Cowon iAudio D2's or the Microsoft Zune's (80GB) sound capabilities and/or signatures.

If it helps, the majority of my music collection consists of Alternative and Rock. (For example: Coldplay, Evanescene, The Killers, Lifehouse, The White Stripes, etc.) However, my collection also includes some Pop and R&B tunes.

Please, help out this nOOb!
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 84
Actually, the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro is the IEM which interests me the most at the moment. I've heard it's great for rock music, and most reviews I've come across of the Super.fi 5 Pros are very favorable.

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by White|Stripes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro is the IEM which interests me the most at the moment.

I'm in the same boat.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by baniels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat.

Same here, the Super.fi 5 Pros seem to be the best IEM (as far as I can tell) in terms of having great sound quality without costing a small fortune.

Any more recommendations, guys?

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 84
I think for rock these do fine (most consistently praised),
Super.fi 5 pro
Futuresonics Atrio M5/M8
Denon AH-C700 (not well known but it's up there)
...some others that are great
d-jays/q-jays
westone um1/um2
klipsch custom (new , dunno too much)
etymotic er6i/4p(not recommended for rock)

You can't go wrong with the sf5pro...or the denons...or atrio? I'd go with the denon just because of the better form factor. I'd go with the sf5pro if it wasn't so big and awkwardly shaped (you can switch the drivers and wear them reversed though for a better fit). I sense FMT coming in to praise his right now...
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 84
I'm certain that they will sound good, based on all the good things I have read about them (SFP5 Pro, that is) - but I'm concerned about the comfort.

I know that the left and right can be swapped so that they don't stick out as much, but I'm a little apprehensive about the over-the-ear fit.

For those that have these, is this ever an issue? Did it take some getting used to? I'm not used to over the ear - that's really the only thing I see as a potential problem for me with these IEMs.

Any thoughts?

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 84
Guys, thanks for all of the recommendations!

Both the FutureSonics Atrio M5/M8 and the JAYS q-JAYS seem to be excellent IEMs, however, they're a bit over my budget at the moment. Plus, the Atrio M5/M8 are ridiculously hard to find (even online!), and I'm not quite sure if the q-JAYS have enough bass for me (I'm bit of a basshead).

Concerning the q-JAYS, I've heard they're an "analytical" pair of IEMs as opposed to a "fun" pair of IEMs. Is this true?

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 84
Super Fi 5 Pros are great IEMS. I had them and found them to be "fun". Not fatiguing at all. Excellent clarity of sound, excellent base (tight and well defined without sounding like your equalizer is turned on). I found the highs to be very well defined also. Enjoyed a rather high level of seperation (high level for IEM') I highly recommend them.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 84
It wasn't much of an issue for me. I was used to doing over the ear from using my E3c. It's a little different, because the SF5 Pro have a stiff wire by the drivers so they kind of are supposed to help stay attached, and also because the SF5 Pro are a bit larger than the E3c. I don't think that the wire helps with the fit at all, but I wouldn't get something else just because of it. I don't think it's worth the ~$30 or so to get a new cable w/o the wire, either.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by White|Stripes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the FutureSonics Atrio M5/M8 and the JAYS q-JAYS seem to be excellent IEMs, however, they're a bit over my budget at the moment. Plus, the Atrio M5/M8 are ridiculously hard to find (even online!), and I'm not quite sure if the q-JAYS have enough bass for me (I'm bit of a basshead).

Dunno about the q-jays but I think I heard the Atrio can be found for around $140? I heard the Atrio a lot of bass, more than the sufficient SF5pro (try look around for pricing). For best comfort, the UM1 is it. Otherwise I would get the Denon for the $100 steal on amazon.
but then again...the new Klipsch line is just around the corner...if more reviews were out...

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super Fi 5 Pros are great IEMS. I had them and found them to be "fun". Not fatiguing at all. Excellent clarity of sound, excellent base (tight and well defined without sounding like your equalizer is turned on). I found the highs to be very well defined also. Enjoyed a rather high level of seperation (high level for IEM') I highly recommend them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't much of an issue for me. I was used to doing over the ear from using my E3c. It's a little different, because the SF5 Pro have a stiff wire by the drivers so they kind of are supposed to help stay attached, and also because the SF5 Pro are a bit larger than the E3c. I don't think that the wire helps with the fit at all, but I wouldn't get something else just because of it. I don't think it's worth the ~$30 or so to get a new cable w/o the wire, either.

Wow, you guys are extremely informative!

Another question: Does the Super.fi 5 Pros do a good job at insolating outside noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back