The best active speakers recommendations
Oct 27, 2023 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ceremonsen

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I use MM-5 Powered Multimedia Speakers and would like to upgrade them to better ones.
Main use for music listening, gaming in second.
Budget is up to $1k.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 19
Vanatoo makes couple of good active speakers. Check them out

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 19
I've narrowed my choices down to Adam Audio T8V and Dynaudio LYD 48.
Adam has impressive specs, slightly better than Dynaudio (on paper though) and costs 4 times cheaper.
On the other hand, Dynaudio is a 3-way speaker, which is a big plus.
So I need advice on which one has better SQ. Maybe someone had a chance to listen to them or even compare them? Is Dynaudio really worth the money?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 19
Adam has impressive specs, slightly better than Dynaudio (on paper though) …
That’s the problem, “on paper”. Speaker/Monitor performance is very largely defined by their positioning within a room and the acoustics of that room. I’m not sure the Adam‘s has better specs than the Dynaudio, as the specs Dynaudio publish aren’t very comprehensive but that’s at least somewhat academic, as the actual performance will be very significantly different in your room.
So I need advice on which one has better SQ.
There’s two issues with that question: Firstly, what exactly do you mean by SQ? Do you mean accurate, neutral, etc. Or do you mean what you personally like/prefer? Secondly, whichever of those you mean, it’s impossible to answer anyway, because it will largely depend on your room acoustics. So be very dubious of any responses which claim to answer this question, they can only answer for their room acoustics (and preferences) not yours!

I know this is not the sort of answer you were looking for but unfortunately it is the ONLY factually accurate/truthful one. The only practical solution is to try them both in your room/LP.

G

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 19
I'd like the sound to be accurate, without distortion and any coloration.
In my experience, most consumers (inc. Audiophiles) prefer some colouration and are usually quite shocked by a system that has little. Regardless though, you’re not going to get sound without any colouration, there will always be significant colouration caused by room acoustics. Although this can be reduced somewhat with dsp (room correction), that’s usually only a partial solution without also some proper acoustic treatment. Assuming that’s impractical, then it’s just a case of trying the different monitors in your room and deciding which colouration you prefer.
And thanks for your input, it's actually quite helpful.
Good, you’re welcome. A definitive answer is always preferable of course but not so in cases like this where a definitive answer would likely be wrong.

G

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 19
It's near impossible for me. Otherwise I would have done it long time ago without asking so many questions. That's why I'm trying to get as much info on the subject as possible.
Then the only other option is guessing. As you’re missing the most important/critical info (how the speakers perform in your acoustics and which you prefer), more info isn’t going to help and could even be a hindrance because it will be dependent on the info you’re missing (that no one can give you). I would expect the Dynaudio monitors to have the better performance but without knowing your acoustics (or preferences), that’s purely a guess and the Adam’s could easily be better for you.

G

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Try looking also at:
- Acoustic Energy's AE1 Active
- Genelec G series.

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 19
Dynaudio is a good brand too. Either way...
But the AE1 Active in any reviews I see were always praises.
Genelec G3 by Steve Gutenberg:

Hoping you'll find what you want...

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 19
That’s the problem, “on paper”. Speaker/Monitor performance is very largely defined by their positioning within a room and the acoustics of that room. I’m not sure the Adam‘s has better specs than the Dynaudio, as the specs Dynaudio publish aren’t very comprehensive but that’s at least somewhat academic, as the actual performance will be very significantly different in your room.

There’s two issues with that question: Firstly, what exactly do you mean by SQ? Do you mean accurate, neutral, etc. Or do you mean what you personally like/prefer? Secondly, whichever of those you mean, it’s impossible to answer anyway, because it will largely depend on your room acoustics. So be very dubious of any responses which claim to answer this question, they can only answer for their room acoustics (and preferences) not yours!

I know this is not the sort of answer you were looking for but unfortunately it is the ONLY factually accurate/truthful one. The only practical solution is to try them both in your room/LP.
Best skateboarders, famous skaters
G
Looking for a pair of two way powered speakers, not Bluetooth, for around $5000. The'll be going in a living room so appearance is important too. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Buchardt A500
Dynaudio Focus 10
Bowers and Wilkins Focus Duo
Genelec 8331/8341
KEF LS60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back