the best 80-90 dollar IEM?
Nov 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 20
IEM with comfort, little cord noise at $80-$90? Tough to find that, but I just got a pair of Altec-Lansing im616s, and they sound great when using the FutureSonics foam tips (not tri-flanges). They come with one pair of Ety foamies (black), which also sound good but are too large for my ears. Anyway, that's my vote. But you will have cord noise, and comfort is subjective, depending on the tips you use (especially the size), which is true of all IEMs but one, the UMs from Westone.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 20
You'll probably have to look at models that hang over the ear like the super.fi 3's. Another IEM is the UM1's and they can be found on the FS forums easily in your price range. A third is the ER6i which come with a shirt clip to help with microphonics (I never used it so I can't comment on its effectiveness). You might want to read up on those IEM's and see which sound would fit you best.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 20
westone UM1 for almost no microphonics, amazing comfort, and gossamer thin cord. Love em
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 20
You are describing the UM1. I think it needs a t little EQ at both ends of the spectrum to sound its best.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 20
Can anyone tell me if the Ety ER6i's have a Y or a J cord?

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 20
Thank you! I looked at a bunch of pictures, but could never tell and didn't find that info on their web site or in a search of these forums. I have some Sony IEMs that I don't really like, but after trying the Ety ER-20 HI-FI Earplugs and really liking the fit, I'm seriously considering some ER6i's.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 20
It's all preference. Ety's sound best to me but loads of people don't like the Ety's. They all present the sound differently and you'll have to decide which you like best. Read up on the different style associated with each IEM. FWIW, Ety's are the least bassy of those (actually, I don't know much about the im616). UM1's are less detailed but have more bass. They didn't have enough treble for me.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 20
I ordered ER6i's. They'll be here tomorrow.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gil_K /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so,which IEM have the best SQ?
um1
er6i
super.fi 3
Altec-Lansing im616

and how is the senn cx400/500?

I've owned hte UM1, the er6i and the AL im616, and the 616s sound best to me. Never had the SF3. The UM1 comfort was the only positive point, but I didn't like the behind the ear thing. The er6is sound fine, but the 616s have Ety drivers but more warmth. The clear winner? im616, or 716 (which cost a little more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back