The best $1500 Bang for buck headphone rig in 2012
Apr 29, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #91 of 211

Quote:
Thanks obobskivich. Now I think I have a much better idea of stats sound. 

Though to be really truthful it makes more sure that it might not be what I want. 

Please, correct me if I'm wrong..
Firstly, good 40% of what I listen to is rock/metal and for those I think (from what I read) the LCD2/HE-500 might be better. Even though HE-500 might be more exciting initially, some of the heavier stuff do get fatiguing with high treble energy. Which is why I was leaning towards the LCD 2.
Secondly, although not a huge priority I watch a lot of movies too. And in my current environment I can't set up a home theater system. So headphones are the way to go. I think the LCD2 bests all other headphones in that. Mainly because of the bass performance.

Although, come to think of it, I do appreciate resolution and balance. Maybe if I could audition the staxes..

Again, thanks for the detailed description! 
smile.gif

HE-500 is the least fatiguing headphone I have listened to.  They are very smooth.  fatigue is the last thing you should expect from this headphone (unless your listening too loud)

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #92 of 211

Quote:
HE-500 
Schiit Lyr
Schiit Bifrost

Done

This is probably the best budget set you could get really... I've considered grabbing the HE-500 just to test it out with my rig, but think I'm going to get into the speaker world instead. (Not to mention that I'm actually very happy with my T1's... I wouldn't mind auditioning the HD800 or the HE-500 though... :p) [NOTE: I have not heard the HE-500 but own the Bifrost and have heard the Lyr.]

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #93 of 211

Quote:
HE-500 
Schiit Lyr
Schiit Bifrost

Done

I would definitely second this as an awesome combination for the price, though the Violectric HPA V100 also sounds like a great option, but doesn't leave any spare room for a DAC, though something like the Asus Essence STX would be a good option. The HE-500 and Audio-GD NFB 10SE could also be a nice combination.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #94 of 211

Quote:

I don't see what puts the hd800 as being $500 above the others, just that it's different.  I think Sennheiser just thinks a lot of themselves, not that I don't enjoy their cans but they're a big company looking to expand and make more $$$.  Proof in this just look to all their manufacturing outsourcing and now enforced MAP.

LCD2 cost $995, T1 cost $1295, HD800 cost $1500. In terms of dynamics and detail, the HD800 as I myself who owns both the LCD2 and HD800 (have auditioned the T1) blows the other two away in terms of detail to the point where its close to analytical, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but you should get my point. The HD800 presents music very naturally more so like its original recording intended to, although the T1 is not as much as being neutral presenting, it also has a point of being musical and fun to listen to, the LCD2 is all about being musical having a nice tonal balance of sound that makes it most enjoyable to listen to for some.

Quote:

The SA-5k exceeds the HD800 in detail.

That's what happens, when you make diaphragms out of crushed glass.

Trolls aside, your joking right? 

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #95 of 211

Quote:

I would definitely second this as an awesome combination for the price, though the Violectric HPA V100 also sounds like a great option, but doesn't leave any spare room for a DAC, though something like the Asus Essence STX would be a good option. The HE-500 and Audio-GD NFB 10SE could also be a nice combination.

imo if you or anyone is going for the LCD2's, I can't second the Violectric amp's enough. Although it is quite expensive, the V100 being an entry level amp from the company at $800, it mates with the LCD2 incredibly well. I'm deciding whether or not to sell my current V100 or trade it for a V200 without the DAC chip upgrade or the new balanced V181 which is supposed to be slightly even better then the V200 but costing roughly the same. For DAC's, if you have $1.2k to spend, grab yourself a Mytek DAC which sounds good but from reviews in comparison to the Ross Martin DIY DAC's which uses about the same DAC chips by TI, both trade blows and the Ross Martin pricing starts from $250. A lot of wide selections to choose from.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #96 of 211
     Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

The SA-5k exceeds the HD800 in detail.

That's what happens, when you make diaphragms out of crushed glass.

Trolls aside, your joking right? 

No I'm not, I think the SA-5k is faster, but I owned the SA-5k for 10 months and listened to the HD800 for 10 minutes, so it's not like I took the horse out on the racetrack.

For the casual listener, the Shure SRH-940 competes with the HD800 too.  There's at least 5 reviews which say that by now.  I don't care what they all cost, headphones don't follow the same rules as um, cameras or similar.

If you want to get technical, the 'original' SA-5k cost more than the HD800 anyway.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #97 of 211

Quote:
     Quote:

No I'm not, I think the SA-5k is faster, but I owned the SA-5k for 10 months and listened to the HD800 for 10 minutes, so it's not like I took the horse out on the racetrack.

For the casual listener, the Shure SRH-940 competes with the HD800 too.  There's at least 5 reviews which say that by now.  I don't care what they all cost, headphones don't follow the same rules as um, cameras or similar.

If you want to get technical, the 'original' SA-5k cost more than the HD800 anyway.

Yeah being dynamically faster I understand but in terms of detail? I don't think so, sure the SA5k is great with revealing lots of detail in a recording but up against a similar designed flagship product that is reportedly by users other then myself to have a lot more detail...I doubt it but if one was put in a blind test between the two, you can definitely say the SA5k and HD800 sound alike. But who likes to have too much detail being the point till its analytical with music? It takes the fun out of music me thinks.

I've actually heard the SRH940 a few times (at that open audio stand on the 3rd floor at Melb Central) and honestly the SRH940 sounds pretty good, a slightly warmer HD650 actually. I'm deciding of whether or not the SRH1840 is worth its value or not as it is an undecided purchase for myself. 

How much did the SA5k cost when it first came out? Can't be more then $1.5k right?

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #98 of 211

Quote:

How much did the SA5k cost when it first came out? Can't be more then $1.5k right?

The Qualia cost more than $1.5k, that's where all the R&D went into making the nano crushed glass diaphragms in the first place, then the SA-5k was released as the lesser version, you know, the consumer Qualia, same driver technology though.

Quote:

Yeah being dynamically faster I understand but in terms of detail? I don't think so, sure the SA5k is great with revealing lots of detail in a recording but up against a similar designed flagship product that is reportedly by users other then myself to have a lot more detail...I doubt it but if one was put in a blind test between the two, you can definitely say the SA5k and HD800 sound alike. But who likes to have too much detail being the point till its analytical with music? It takes the fun out of music me thinks.

I've actually heard the SRH940 a few times (at that open audio stand on the 3rd floor at Melb Central) and honestly the SRH940 sounds pretty good, a slightly warmer HD650 actually. I'm deciding of whether or not the SRH1840 is worth its value or not as it is an undecided purchase for myself.

The HD800 is a lot more open-air sounding, like a STAX, which can be perceived as more detail or more refined, versus SA-5k.  I like a lot of detail and precise imaging in my music but that's just my personal incentive.  Some people like NOS DAC's with warm and dark speakers, which is why threads like these have different ideas.

I'm not familiar with an audio stand at Melb Central, what's the store called?  I'll go there today.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #99 of 211

Quote:

The Qualia cost more than $1.5k, that's where all the R&D went into making the nano crushed glass diaphragms in the first place, then the SA-5k was released as the lesser version, you know, the consumer Qualia, same driver technology though.

The HD800 is a lot more open-air sounding, like a STAX, which can be perceived as more detail or more refined, versus SA-5k.  I like a lot of detail and precise imaging in my music but that's just my personal incentive.  Some people like NOS DAC's with warm and dark speakers, which is why threads like these have different ideas.

I'm not familiar with an audio stand at Melb Central, what's the store called?  I'll go there today.
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah I know of the Qualia 010, but I never knew that was the original SA5k well you can call it original since the SA5k took its design from it. 

I forgot what's it called but its at the food courts on the 3rd floor I think....I mentioned it in the Aussie & Nz headfi thread in the Members lounge. It's just a bunch of headphones for you try out (using your own source) that you can try out the whole stand area is in Red served by two fine ladies from what I remember. The high-end models such as the HD800, IE8 etc are behind glass cases though. Btw did you know that there is a Jaben store in the CBD? I never knew.....

WOOT! 700 posts.....
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #100 of 211
     Quote:

I forgot what's it called but its at the food courts on the 3rd floor I think....I mentioned it in the Aussie & Nz headfi thread in the Members lounge. It's just a bunch of headphones for you try out (using your own source) that you can try out the whole stand area is in Red served by two fine ladies from what I remember. The high-end models such as the HD800, IE8 etc are behind glass cases though. Btw did you know that there is a Jaben store in the CBD? I never knew.....

Oh, I think it's called Stereo?  Someone told me they only hire hot girls.  Yeah, I recommend Jaben, they let you try IEM's and have very good service.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #101 of 211
MDR-SA5000 MSRP was $699.00 
MDR-Q010 (Qualia) MSRP was around $2400 (according to Wikipedia; I've heard as high as $4000 and as low as $1500 and it seems that they were probably a channel-exclusive like many other Sony high-end bits - used they tend to sit around $3-$4k). 

Qualia may have fit problems for second-hand users, because they were intended to be fitted by the retailer (there's a few different sizes of headband and so on). 

Also remember that the MDR-SA5000 came out in 2001 (according to Amazon), Q010 came out in 2004 (according to Wikipedia), so factor inflation into the equation when comparing to the HD 800. We're really talking about two different markets (in more ways than one). 

As kiteki said - price doesn't matter. They're different headphones, but they're both excellent. My thinking is that "perfect" can really only be done one way, and nobody has hit it yet - there's a number of fairly good attempts though, and that's probably why we get reports that a number of top-tier cans sound very similar. 
Quote:

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #102 of 211

Quote:

SRH940 warmer than the HD650? To me, the HD650 sounds much warmer. I'd say the HD650 and SRH940 aren't very far apart from each other--but the SRH940 is brighter, has more detail, and clearer highs (sometimes harsher highs).

Regardless, I don't believe the SRH1840 is worth the increase in price over the SRH940 at this point. The price seems to be a bit inflated to me. Also, I've heard several people say that they even like the SRH1440 better than the SRH1840. IMO the SRH940 is probably one of the best values there is in the headphone market. I've been actively trying to find a better closed headphone and I haven't found anything yet (most open headphones don't sound as good to me either). 

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #105 of 211
HD 650 is VERY warm....much more than the shures...

and kiteki is probably right about the SA5K, some people even prefer them over the HD 800, they might not be as refined or accurate as the hd 800, but they might have alot of detail in the highs. never heard them though, so can't say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back