The best 100$ IEM's?
Apr 1, 2007 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
I would love some recommendations, as I am (was) using a Creative EP-630, but now I would like to upgrade.

Btw ~ By 100$ I don't mean the tag price of the headphone, but the lowered price....I have found 3 nice headphones in this range,

the V-moda's, Ety's ER6i, and the Shure E2c's

I love the V-moda's, and have seen some very nice reviews ( I don't mind the slightly open isolation ) but are there better ones out there?

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 36
really? After all the hype died off of the vibes, I began to read some bad things about them. And don't buy them because they look cool.

I owned the sures, and they isolate pretty well but it sounded like music through a tube.

imo get the um1's My friend has them and they are great.

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 36
If you can deal with the design flaws and you don't need isolation, the vibes are the way to go.

The biggest design flaws in my mind is the total lack of strain reliefs anywhere and the conical metal plug which is near impossible to pull out of a jack. I think V-Moda needs to make something similar to the vibe which is designed for audiophiles. something less flashy, with strain reliefs and maybe a slightly different frequency response.

I certainly did not buy the vibes because they look cool. In my mind I think they are pretty ugly. I really couldn't be happier with the sound from a 80.00 IEM.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? After all the hype died off of the vibes, I began to read some bad things about them. And don't buy them because they look cool.

I owned the sures, and they isolate pretty well but it sounded like music through a tube.

imo get the um1's My friend has them and they are great.

i second his opinion on the vibes. they aren't worth the money. they aren't 50 dollars better than your ep630's. the shures sound like music through a tube unless you perform the kramer mod on them (in my signature). that opens the sound up a lot, and i love the e2c's now. they are very detailed and respond well to EQing whatever you find deficient, which in my case is the bass.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 36
d-JAYS!

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 36
Go for the UE super.fi 3's. Quite nice all around IEM. They're pretty durable too, I've probably have slept on top of them a few times (I listen to my iPod while I fall asleep) and the cables are replaceable.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 36
im716 is quite excellent but they are really oriented towards classical performance.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 36
I didn't like the V-moda. It seems that the D-jays are really very good. You can go to www.ilounge.com to read some good reviews, especially for that price.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 36
MMM.. westone fans galore
etysmile.gif

Shures have tight bass - too tight, but souperman's method is worth a try - In fact.. I'll try that on my friends. But if my hand gets shaky and I screw up his buds somehow then you guys won't be hearing from me again...

UM1's are great and I hear the UM2's have set a standard for IEM's , which is making my hand itch---

But are the V-moda's really that hyped? People who have owned them have given great feedback imo, and I hear they have very deep bass- even too overwhelming for some. But how do they perform on the mids-highs?
The "3/4" isolation gives it a more spatial soundstage, so I don't mind -

Also. I would not like to read a 50 page thread, so I am going to ask this -- what is the REAL difference between the 2 "versions" of the vibes..

And yes, they look cool.

alsoooooo - for those who like complete isolation wouldn't walking around w/ those headphones be dangerous? I mean .... come a big stranger with a baseball bat sneaking up behind you, with greedy looking at your ipod and 200$ headphones.....

uhh sorry... got off topic..

My musical taste is oriented towards classical music (mainly piano) and rock, with emphasis on high vocals and the sound range of the piano (all octaves).

Abit more help plz
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i second his opinion on the vibes. they aren't worth the money. they aren't 50 dollars better than your ep630's. the shures sound like music through a tube unless you perform the kramer mod on them (in my signature). that opens the sound up a lot, and i love the e2c's now. they are very detailed and respond well to EQing whatever you find deficient, which in my case is the bass.

if only the cords at the drivers were more resilient
frown.gif
and I Kramer modded my beauties too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back