The Beatles "Red Album" CD - 1993 vs 2010 master
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TomKure

Head-Fier
Hi!
I want to buy the 1962-1966 "Red Album" from The Beatles (for starters, maybe some more albums later...). So I found out that there are two masterings of the CDs, one from 1993 and one from 2010. I tried to find some comments on both versions on the internet and I found that some people like the 1993 version more and some prefer the 2010 version. I personally dislike most of the modern day masterings (and re-masterings), as an AC DC fan I would maybe point out (a little bit off-topic, I know) that the original 1980 Albert version of the Black Album has what to me sounds like a very good mastering, as oposed to what we can hear on Black Ice, which, in my opinion is the worst sound a person can achieve in a studio...Black Ice is the worst, most unrealistic sounding record I have ever heard. It makes my ears hurt even at very low volume levels. Great music, catastrophical production and mastering, a real shame. But back on topic: I would like to hear (read) some opinions on which version of the Red Album sounds better, what are the differences etc... I have the HD 650 and AH-D2000 headphones, EMU 0404 USB soundcard and Graham Slee Novo amp, and I would like the album to sound as much neutral, natural and clean as possible, without the cracking sounds of brickwalling, with nice dynamics and even frequency representation... And if somebody wants to suggest a vinyl, I understand, but really I don't have no vinyl player and I really just want the best a CD can offer... BTW (off-topic, again) a very very good record I got recently, which I really love both music- and soud- wise, is the Creedence Clearwater Revival Box-Set from 2001, with the 20bit K2 Super Coding (I know a CD can always be "only" 16bit and the 20bit refers to the mastering), mastered by Shigeo Miyamoto - really great sound IMO, and even better music... So if the Red Album could sound this good (sound quality-wise) in at least one of the mastering versions, I would be really happy...
Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 6
I have all the Beatles stuff, and for stereo, I prefer the earlier CDs. They're just a clean transfer off the masters with no monkeying. The new mono box is fantastic though.

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 6
OK, I will be looking for the 1993 version. As for the other albums - is the 2009 mono box any good? It is from 2009 so I would expect it to be compressed, bass-overboosted and clipped... Is it?

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I own the Red album 1993 master and the Blue album 2010 master (one comes in a plastic case, the other in a paper sleeve).

I haven't noticed significant differences between the 2 overall 'sounds' but I'm curious to hear the later master of the Red album and really compare the 2.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 6
The mono box is great. It sounds perfect to me. The stereo box sounds good too, it's just a tiny bit more compressed than the original release. When I listen to the Beatles, I prefer the mono mix most of the time.

I wish they would release the Get Back album in the state that the Beatles left it instead of getting people to finish it. I heard a bootleg of Get Back that is sourced from an acetate dubplate given to Peter Sellers and it wipes the floor with either of the versions of Let It Be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back