The Beatles - Capital Albums Volume 2...to be released April 11th!!
Mar 27, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I just came accross this at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...837848-3860748

I've put in my pre-order, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

It appears that it's going to be four more albums:

1) The Early Beatles
2) Beatles VI
3) Help!
4) Rubber Soul

The CD's will have both stereo and mono mixes.

Just thought you'd like to know...
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 5
Am I the only one who's interested in this?? Hard to believe....

Mono versions of the American mix of Rubber Soul? Hello??

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I've also placed my order with my local, independent, record store. I'm looking forward to getting this; I thought that vol. 1 was excellent.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
elrod-tom,

Be careful if you buy this set. There are a lot of early pressings which use the wrong mono mixes of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul - digital fold-downs of the US stereo mixes rather than the original US mono mixes. (The Early Beatles and Help! in their original US mono forms are already fold-downs of the stereo mixes; thus, the digital fold-downs of those two albums are used here.) The sets with the correct mono mixes of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul have an "SK1" at the end of the catalogue number at the bottom of the sticker, as in "CDP 0946 3 57297 2 4 SK1" or "CDP 0946 3 57716 2 6 SK1". (Sets with the incorrect fold-downs do not have the "SK1" at the end of the above numbers.)

By the way, the stereo Rubber Soul does have the "false start" at the beginning of "I'm Looking Through You".

Also, the US mono mixes of the individual songs in Rubber Soul are the same actual mixes as their UK mono counterparts, with the exception of the song "Michelle": The percussion on the US mono mix of that song was mixed slightly louder than on the UK mono mix.

Aside from the "false start" at the beginning of "I'm Looking Through You", the only US stereo mix on Rubber Soul which differs from the original UK stereo mix is "The Word" (the positioning of some of the sounds is rearranged).

Still, considering the fact that the official EMI CD of the UK Rubber Soul is actually a digitally-made stereo remix rather than the original UK stereo mix (though some early '90s Canadian pressings of the official EMI CD used the original UK stereo mixes instead of the officially sanctioned digital remix), listening to these original stereo mixes is a revelation.

By the way, I waited until the "SK1" edition of the boxed set arrived at my local Best Buy superstore this morning before I plunked down my 60 bucks on it. And even then, most of the boxed sets at the stores that I visited are of the "foldies" (short for fold-downs) edition.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
elrod-tom,

Be careful if you buy this set. There are a lot of early pressings which use the wrong mono mixes of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul - digital fold-downs of the US stereo mixes rather than the original US mono mixes. (The Early Beatles and Help! in their original US mono forms are already fold-downs of the stereo mixes; thus, the digital fold-downs of those two albums are used here.) The sets with the correct mono mixes of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul have an "SK1" at the end of the catalogue number at the bottom of the sticker, as in "CDP 0946 3 57297 2 4 SK1" or "CDP 0946 3 57716 2 6 SK1". (Sets with the incorrect fold-downs do not have the "SK1" at the end of the above numbers.)

By the way, the stereo Rubber Soul does have the "false start" at the beginning of "I'm Looking Through You".

Also, the US mono mixes of the individual songs in Rubber Soul are the same actual mixes as their UK mono counterparts, with the exception of the song "Michelle": The percussion on the US mono mix of that song was mixed slightly louder than on the UK mono mix.

Aside from the "false start" at the beginning of "I'm Looking Through You", the only US stereo mix on Rubber Soul which differs from the original UK stereo mix is "The Word" (the positioning of some of the sounds is rearranged).

Still, considering the fact that the official EMI CD of the UK Rubber Soul is actually a digitally-made stereo remix rather than the original UK stereo mix (though some early '90s Canadian pressings of the official EMI CD used the original UK stereo mixes instead of the officially sanctioned digital remix), listening to these original stereo mixes is a revelation.

By the way, I waited until the "SK1" edition of the boxed set arrived at my local Best Buy superstore this morning before I plunked down my 60 bucks on it. And even then, most of the boxed sets at the stores that I visited are of the "foldies" (short for fold-downs) edition.

WOW. Thanks alot for that info. I will keep it in mind when I go out to buy my set. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back