The Beatles are rubbish
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 58
The best solution right now seems to be to buy a high quality bootleg that has been taken (with great care) from an original mono LP, since these have been out of print for since before CD even existed. From what I hear, these bootleg transfers can sound a good deal better then the current 80s beatles digital masters, superior mixing aside. I don't have any yet, its not as if I can just walk down to the friendly neighborhood bootleg surplus; I'm keeping an eye out for mono Sgt. Pepper's though. Not exactly legal, but ethical, if you ask me, considering I have bought the (crappy) cd albums.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
The best solution right now seems to be to buy a high quality bootleg that has been taken (with great care) from an original mono LP, since these have been out of print for since before CD even existed. From what I hear, these bootleg transfers can sound a good deal better then the current 80s beatles digital masters, superior mixing aside. I don't have any yet, its not as if I can just walk down to the friendly neighborhood bootleg surplus; I'm keeping an eye out for mono Sgt. Pepper's though. Not exactly legal, but ethical, if you ask me, considering I have bought the (crappy) cd albums.

That's about to change. From the Music Direct e-newsletter:

The Capitol Albums Volume #2 is finally on the way! For the very first time ever on CD, Capitol/EMI is releasing the US LP versions of The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, Help! and Rubber Soul in both Mono and Stereo! This Limited Edition Deluxe CD Longbox will only be available for a short time!

All completely re-mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound in NYC, the entire set is re-mastered using the best 24-bit technology transferred from the Original US Master Tapes! The set includes special packaging: all the original artwork and a 56 page Collector’s Booklet with rare photos.

You’ll be taken back in the time-machine with the early US versions of “Love Me Do,” “Twist and Shout,” and “Eight Days a Week!” Hear the American version of the Help! album with the orchestral interludes and the classic “James Bond Intro” to “Help!” The American Pressing of Rubber Soul features the CD debut of George Martin’s original Stereo mixes of the 12 tracks and the first time the Mono mixes will appear on CD!

Get on the preorder list and we'll ship this out to you immediately upon it’s arrival here at musicdirect!

I'm a casual Beatles fan at best. I have the vinyl UK Blue Box (all stereo mixes) and that's enough for me. For the dedicated fan, however, I would think the new set would be essential...

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 58
aaaaaaand this thread title is rubbish. nice attention whoring, man.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 58
Yeah, the first time I heard them on headphones, I was upset too. Happened pretty recently, actually.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 58
wow man, you upset easily.

there is no need to choose between the stones and the beatles. they're both great. this isn't some jr high rockers vs. pop rumble.

and if a record upsets you, why are you listening to it? so you can bitch about on the internet? the way early stereo beatles albums sound is a product of the time it was recorded, and should be respected. this has been discussed here before, btw.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
It's probably just me, but I always thought the Beatles as performing talents were second rate. As songwriters, however, nobody could touch them.

perhaps, unless you consider the vocals. john lennon was and remains the greatest rock vocalist.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #29 of 58
Personally the Beatles never did it for me. But such is life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back