http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOej4eG9i0

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #47 of 116
Quote:

Very nice
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #48 of 116
Quote:
I agree McCartney wasn't out front doing long extended bass solos ex. Les Claypool, but he was very influential to other bass players.  On SER Geddy Lee said he was one of his most important influences, "not ostentatious," "but very important" "He added melody with the bass" when others before played a steady cyclical cadence as a back beat.  Check out The Beatles "Something."  I personally thought he was much better on The Beatle songs when he wasn't the primary vocalist.

McCartney's biggest influence was James Jamerson who played on several of the old Motown hits ex. Marvin Gaye "What's Going On."

Fair enough. As I said, I dig The Beatles... and I'm not trying to run their accomplishments into the ground. I just think that there are/were other musicians who take technical inspiration to a higher level. That's all. 

Quote:

Awesome. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #49 of 116
Yeah... Pete Best was a weak drummer. I see what you are saying now. Makes sense.

Sorry man,
I tend to get a bit passionate about this..........:xf_eek:
We can agree that if history had swapped Moon and Rich in their bands then neither The Who nor the Buddy Rich band's (ummmm.........The Keith Moon Big Band? LOL) would have sounded as fantastic!

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #50 of 116
The best musician, hands down, in The Beatles was McCartney.  He changed the way bass was utilized in rock music, before Entwhistle would take it to another level.  McCartney put bass at the forefront of songs, before that bass provided little more than background rhythm.  At #3 on the list of all time greatest Bass players per Rolling Stone Magazine.  McCartney's bass line on "Come Together," is particularly memorable.  Because his 4 octave vocal presence was always so notable his musicianship tends to get over looked.

On the more difficult guitar solos it was McCartney who often took  the lead,  The guitar solo in Taxman was McCartney.  Harrison even liked the fact that McCartney did it with a little Indian flair. (Crawdaddy ''77)

Exceptional piano player and subbed for Starr on drums in his absence.

One aspect to his unique ability he could record songs and even albums on his own as he often did on the White album with The Beatles and later on his early solo albums.

Ah, McCartney.
I would argue that McCartney and Ringo were the most influential musicians in The Beatles.......stylistically inspired a lot of Rock and Pop musicians to follow in their footsteps.
Paul and Ringo's work on Come Together is particularly memorable.
Apparently Paul was also a big influence on Yes's Chris Squire.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 116
Quote:
Sorry man,
I tend to get a bit passionate about this..........
redface.gif

We can agree that if history had swapped Moon and Rich in their bands then neither The Who nor the Buddy Rich band's (ummmm.........The Keith Moon Big Band? LOL) would have sounded as fantastic!

I think they would have been able to adopt to a certain point, but band dynamics would have been thrown off, and they wouldn't have melded as well.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #52 of 116
As I said before, It was their perspective on life that was the most inspiring to me. Especially Lennon and Harrison. They just had a clearer vision of what this world is... still clearer than a lot of people today. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #53 of 116
Quote:
Ah, McCartney.
I would argue that McCartney and Ringo were the most influential musicians in The Beatles.......stylistically inspired a lot of Rock and Pop musicians to follow in their footsteps.
Paul and Ringo's work on Come Together is particularly memorable.
Apparently Paul was also a big influence on Yes's Chris Squire.

Ringo was the glue that held that band together as much emotionally as musically.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #54 of 116
Quote:
Ringo was the glue that held that band together as much emotionally as musically.

What's the deal with everybody giving Ringo a hard time then? Whenever I've heard people talk about them, Ringo seemed to be the joke. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #55 of 116
What's the deal with everybody giving Ringo a hard time then? Whenever I've heard people talk about them, Ringo seemed to be the joke. 

I have NO idea.
Why not give Charlie Watts a hard time too?
It goes against ALL common sense!
Ringo Starr, the guy who played on Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Abbey Road........the guy who played on all those groundbreaking albums is crap? Seriously? The guy who laid the foundations of progressive rock drumming?
Like I said, it goes against all common sense.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #56 of 116
Yea, I was curious if he did something that I just wasn't aware of.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #57 of 116
This has been an interesting read. I'm fairly young... and horribly inexperienced with these artists mentioned, I barely even listen to the Beatles so this has been an educational read. Reminds me that there is a ton of music out there I still need to check out.

So... in the interest of finding common ground... what are your thoughts bout One Direction? (which has apparently been compared to the Beatles according to a friend)
popcorn.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #58 of 116
Yea, I was curious if he did something that I just wasn't aware of.

I guess he is just more down to earth, doesn't take himself too seriously.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #60 of 116
Nah, The Beatles are cool. I can't believe I forgot about another killer band in the same era... The Animals.... Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back