the be all end all: first sub 100$ open, unamped headphones
Jan 3, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 21
***Edit - I didnt see the "open" part of the title until after I posted. Oops***

I def recommend the Denon AHD-1001s. I searched for a long time for a sub $100 pair of headphones and this set is fantastic. Great comfort, lightweight, and good price (check Amazon or Buy.com).

**Great headphones, dumb post on my part
atsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #17 of 21
Hmmm... I always thought that the sr80's 'need' to be amped (at least according to HeadRoom). I don't think you would find the sr80s necessarily better than the 60s without the use of an amp, so I would still consider the sr60s. I would recommend looking through Head-Fi for some sr60/80 comparisons. I also agree with Dyn0mite and recommend the 414 pads should you get the 80s, as the bowls aren't good for on-the-go use. The stock comfies on the 60 would suit you well too.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #18 of 21
You might want to add the sennheiser 280pros to that list. Just my .02.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 21
I personally love my AD700s, and for the money I think they are an incredible value. They are lacking in bass, no doubt, so if that is a priority, be aware.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 21
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and sorry for lack of updates on my end, I've been doing some research and whatnot, and it slipped my mind
frown.gif

On the subject of your recommendations...

Denon ah-d1001: I took a look at these bad boys and and they look hot, figuratively and literally. Are those pads really that weird pleather-looking material? Is it possible to mod them, with the same ease (assuming that modding the Grado/Alessandro is easy, which multiple threads talking about modding them have led me to believe)

AD700: arg, they just look too fragile to me still, or at least, odd. I love the idea of a faster, more in your face HD555 but they're just too bulky for my tastes.

oh, and the DT's are no longer on sale on Amazon
frown.gif
. Thanks for the tip though, I saw you recommending them in some other threads Holland, I just wish I was faster!

the HD555s, although I'm highly interested in them, with their sexy velour pads, single out of headphone cable, and more modern look, I'm just not too excited about that monster of a cable length, as well as the adapter needed for portables (its bigger than my damn ipod! ) Also, the need for an amp, based off the "1.5" rating in the headphone buyer guide, makes me abit nervous.

I've decided on going with the SR80's or MS-1's thanks to your excellent advice, leaning toward the MS-1's, to get the "comfy" pads, then picking up some spare bowl pads for around 10 dollars to play around with, as well as some 414's.

I've read the only difference between the SR60 and 80 is cabling and pads, and that the MS-1 is the "equivalent", at least driver wise, to an SR125, but... SR125's have more treble than 80's, so, wouldn't the MS-1 be logically more punchy than an 80?

It's this thread here that's getting me all mixed up, I'm about 10 pages in and results seem to be all over the place!

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD555s, although I'm highly interested in them, with their sexy velour pads, single out of headphone cable, and more modern look, I'm just not too excited about that monster of a cable length, as well as the adapter needed for portables (its bigger than my damn ipod! ) Also, the need for an amp, based off the "1.5" rating in the headphone buyer guide, makes me abit nervous.

1. Almost every high end phone has long (> 6 ft) cables. The SR-80 has a 7.5 ft cable, and the MS-1 is likely equal or longer in length. All of these phones are generally meant to be used indoors.

2. Yup, it would have been nice if it ended in a 1/8th plug. I run mine through my mixer, however, so it's not an issue when listening at my laptop.

3. The HD555 absolutely does not need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back