The Be-All, End-All $200-$300 headphone?
Apr 29, 2002 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stallion11msu

100+ Head-Fier
I am in search of the be-all, end-all headphone around the $200-300 mark. I own V6s, Grado sr80s, and ksc-50s but I'm looking for something that'll give me a little bit more. I'm thinking maybe Sennheiser 580's, but I'm looking for some advice from you audiophiles.
-I listen to most of my music thru my computer (CDs and MP3s)
-I do not have an headphone amp (maybe I should? but the headphone out on my klipsch promedias is sufficiently powerful)
- Open or closed makes no difference (I might consider some etys but I haven't done much research on them)

Oh, and info on the best place to pick up certain cans would be rad too

Post Script: I've been hangin out on the forum for a while w/out posting, and I must say the collective knowledge here is totally rad.

Apr 29, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Do you intend to use a dedicated headphone amplifier?

Apr 29, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 12
The conundrum of a dedicated headphone amp is another problem. I would LOVE a dedicated amp, but my budget is tight. I could probably afford and amp in the 100-200 range, or I could preferrably build my own (I have only moderate DIY skills). I have done ZERO research on specific amps however, and any insight would be helpful. Maybe an HD-600 + amp combo would be my best option?

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 12
Send a PM to JMT and see what he can do for you.

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 12
Nick is Team Senn's linebacker.
smily_headphones1.gif
:high fives:

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by stallion11msu
The conundrum of a dedicated headphone amp is another problem. I would LOVE a dedicated amp, but my budget is tight. I could probably afford and amp in the 100-200 range, or I could preferrably build my own (I have only moderate DIY skills). I have done ZERO research on specific amps however, and any insight would be helpful. Maybe an HD-600 + amp combo would be my best option?

BTW, your safest bet is to buy from HeadRoom. They have a generous return policy and are very knowledgable to consel you on the phone. Further, they are a faithful sponsor of this forum and are a bunch of headphone geeks like us.
wink.gif

www.headphone.com

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 12
IMHFO, the best most versatile headphone amp in the $200-300 new range is the Corda HA-1 from Meier Audio which is available either pre-built or in a kit for a little less money. There are lots of good designs if you want to go the DIY route, though and most will come in cheaper than the Corda.

Apr 29, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm personally going to get some HD600's. I own 580's and they're awesome, but since the 600's are supposed to be the 580's with a cherry on top, I'm gonna give them a shot. So... want to buy my 580's?
smily_headphones1.gif

-Iman

Apr 29, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 12
stallion11msu
You had it right with the 580s for they sound good with advadge source and cheep amp even your home receiver might do it and sound great. the 600 need a good amp and a good source to sound best. the 580s are in your budgetand maby even a portable amp to. Do a search at toip right of the screen and put in 580s and read what the members have to say about these cans. They are world renowned for thier sound. Good luck and great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back