The battle of the electrostats
Oct 10, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 24
Now, the real question is: When you go back to listening to speakers, do they sound like a choir of flapping credit cards (with a unison problem) in comparison, or do the speakers sound "better"?

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 24
Dont remind me of speakers.....please!!!
eek.gif
I decided in July that I will wait until I have my own house to get the best speakers I can afford. Even today I share a house with a friend...Headphones are here to stay for a long long time.

I know what speakers can do and I want to forget (ideally) but that is a vain exercise
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Now, the real question is: When you go back to listening to speakers, do they sound like a choir of flapping credit cards (with a unison problem) in comparison, or do the speakers sound "better"?

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The SA5000 is one of the best dynamic headphones out there and it made me give up everything else that I had at the time.

Same here, and now Stax revolutionises my listening experience... eek I can already feel those O2s calling me... its gonna hurt the wallet again
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #19 of 24
hey gs, are you listening to the HE-60 on the KGSS or the 007t?

For me, the HE-60 can sound thin on the KGSS (though I still really like it) but midrange tonality is much nicer on the 007t.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 24
Agreed. O-II works very well with the KGSS. HE-60...not quite as good. The HE-60 really shines with the 007T like you mentioned. Too bad I had to send the 007T back to mikey
smily_headphones1.gif
But at least he will enjoy it with the HE90
wink.gif

I still like the HE60 on the KGSS but this is clearly omega-II territory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
hey gs, are you listening to the HE-60 on the KGSS or the 007t?

For me, the HE-60 can sound thin on the KGSS (though I still really like it) but midrange tonality is much nicer on the 007t.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Dont remind me of speakers.....please!!!
eek.gif
I decided in July that I will wait until I have my own house to get the best speakers I can afford. Even today I share a house with a friend...Headphones are here to stay for a long long time.

I know what speakers can do and I want to forget (ideally) but that is a vain exercise
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I know what you're talking about...

Good speakers with a good source = HEAVEN.

-Matt

Oct 10, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 24
Just a reminder that I'll be getting my Koss ESP/950 back in a month or two from Peter McAlister, with his EA-1 electrostat headphone amp. This McAlister amp will be set up to drive all the Stax, Koss, HE60 and HE90 headphones. It'll be interesting to see how well this relatively inexpensive Koss (powered by the McAlister amp) performs in comparison to an HE90, HE60, the Stax headphones, and an R10 dynamic.

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Just a reminder that I'll be getting my Koss ESP/950 back in a month or two from Peter McAlister, with his EA-1 electrostat headphone amp. This McAlister amp will be set up to drive all the Stax, Koss, HE60 and HE90 headphones. It'll be interesting to see how well this relatively inexpensive Koss (powered by the McAlister amp) performs in comparison to an HE90, HE60, the Stax headphones, and an R10 dynamic.

Hey Mikeyg, will you have a chance to compare the Mcallister amp with other electrostatic amps?

Look forward to your thoughts on the Mcallister amp.

Oct 11, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 24
My reason for equipping it with chassis outlets for so many different headphones is to let others try it, and thereby compare it's performance to that of most other electrostat headphone amps. When I finally get it, I plan to take it to several meets. I also plan to have others compare it to their own amps. For example, agile_one has Stax amps, while gsferrari ownes several kinds of electrostat headphones and amps. Hirsch and others may also want to do comparisons. I'm really getting this amp, and the Koss ESP/950, for the purpose of disseminating the quality of their performance (good or bad) to Head-Fi members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey Mikeyg, will you have a chance to compare the Mcallister amp with other electrostatic amps?

Look forward to your thoughts on the Mcallister amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back