the bantam dac ROCKS
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #31 of 36
any feedback on the bantam DAC + millet SS problem?? ie. DAC getting fried by feedback voltage?

does the mod around c3 fix this? any idea how to fix this? i'm planning on combining the two.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wankski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any feedback on the bantam DAC + millet SS problem?? ie. DAC getting fried by feedback voltage?

does the mod around c3 fix this? any idea how to fix this? i'm planning on combining the two.

As I understand it from our tests, the issue is with the SSMH power supply. The ground floats and from time-to-time, the ground may be at a different potential from another device - say, a BantamDAC that's grounded through a PC. Connecting/disconnecting an Alien DAC or Bantam DAC when this ground potential is different is what fries the DAC.

Part of the attraction of the Alien DAC and BantamDAC is its simple design and construction. Also, the sound is so good with such few parts because the outputs are directly coupled to the DAC chip's output. At the same time, this makes the DAC vulnerable to situations where the ground level is different. That said, only the SSMH has caused problems.

This is just a guess, but if you mounted the BantamDAC in such a way so that its ground was always connected to the SSMH ground, (like in the same case, etc.), then you probably will never have an issue. It's in the connecting/disconnecting when issues occur.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #34 of 36
I just ended working on Bantam DAC, but having a problem, maybe it's my fault. I used IC1 alternate, and IC2 normal. Maybe they are not supposed to work this way.

The DAC is recognized, but when I measure the IC2 at the measuring point it shows 2.2vdc instead of 4.7vdc. Also when I connect the headphones I can hear a pitch noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back