The Bands/Group/Artist that has influenced you the most?
Dec 30, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #47 of 66
Well, Sepultura was the band that started me on the way to the dark side, (coming straight off being a pure classical enthusiast!
eek.gif
) but Primus is probably the band that had the most long-term effect on me in that it opened up a world of quirky, amusing, and still technically interesting music.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #48 of 66
Brahms. This is still the music that I connect most deeply with.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #49 of 66
First taste-altering band... Green Day (specifically the Dookie album)... I suppose I was about 11 at the time, but before them I had only listened to the radio (top 40, oldies, and country)... tragic isnt it
eek.gif

They showed me a completly new style of music, and I built off of that eventually to where I am now.

Dec 30, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #50 of 66
Well, I may have to put this into categories.

ARTIST THAT INFLUENCED MY OWN MUSICIAN DEVELOPMENT:

Elvin Jones. When I first heard A Love Supreme, I was just amazed by the free-form and slightly chaotic style of his drumming. I completely changed my drumming ability around because I was influenced by this one man. A close runnerup in this category would have to be Jack DeJohnette, however, and for similar reasons too!

ARTIST THAT INFLUENCED MY MUSICAL EXPLORATIONS:

Jethro Tull. When I was first getting into music, I was really only listening to music my parents did - classic rock. Jethro Tull was my first venture into the TRUE avant garde music scene. Thick as a Brick was, by far, one of the most incredibly innovative popular music albums from the seventies, and it gave me a deep appreciation for artists that try to go above and beyond. This group wasn't just another Aerosmith or other classic rock supergroup - they were in a completely different league, and they eventually led me to my first jazz and classical explorations. A runnerup in this category would easily be Yes, for similar reasons.

ARTIST THAT INFLUENCED MY TECHNICAL AND PRODUCTION BACKGROUND:

Todd Rundgren. This is an obvious one. He influenced me in ways that no other artist has - he gave me the spirit and inspiration I needed to get into the Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music. His amazing production values gave me the inspiration to continuously enjoy working in the open source audio field. His incredible talent and technological advancements (he invented the music video!) inspired me to start the company that me and my best friend (also roomate) now run and are going places with. To top it all off, Todd Rundgren was a doubtless musical prodigy and is one of the most innovative and talented artists from the last 100 years of music history.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by warcarrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream Theater is the first band that got me into progressive rock and more complexity.. I'm still exploring more now
smily_headphones1.gif
and it's SO AWESOME!

Warcarrot-nice 3 and 1/2 year old thread revival!

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #56 of 66
Another one who was introduced to the Progressive Metal genre through Dream Theater and growl vocals through Opeth. Needless to say that I'm a big metal fan now listening to bands I had never heard of.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #58 of 66
I'm nearly 50 - but my musical tastes probably don't match that demographic at all well (or maybe any demographic).

As a kid growing up, it was rock and some jazz - Beatles, Dylan, Bruebeck from my mom and dad. I still like all that well enough, but it does not define me by any stretch.

In high school the genre of the day was classic rock and disco (which I HATE) and mostly react against these days. Really hate 'hair bands', and 'rock star type' acts.

By college and grad. school - for me music got cool again. I'd say the single greatest influence was Talking Heads: Fear of Music, More Songs About Buildings and Food, etc. I was kinda geeky, and studying Architecture - it just kinda fit. I learned that there was room in the world for everything - no matter how quirky, poly rhythmic, and non-pop oriented. Originality was back in the picture, and imagination and a good idea counted for a lot more than radio play.

After that, my musical tastes were shifted rather permanently away from pop, and towards the fringe.

Artists (old and new) that I'm really in to, and seem to continue in this vein (in their own ways) are: Beck, Flaming Lips, DJ Shadow, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin, Beastie Boys, Girl Talk, People Like Us, Messer Chups, Soul Coughing, The Residents, X, The Decemberists, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, etc. Not a definitive list by any stretch - but some favorites that fit the 'rule', so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back