The Bandcamp Music Discovery Thread
Dec 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #76 of 206

Reading this thread, you'd think Bandcamp only has Metal...
Maybe I'm on the wrong thread, but this is a jazz/world music album that is really great!

There was one metal obsessed dude spamming a few threads, but seems that he's been banned now, so hopefully we get a more balanced mix of music suggestions going forward.  Was honestly getting tired of his metal spam, stopped following all these threads.  But now I'm back :)

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #77 of 206
There was one metal obsessed dude spamming a few threads, but seems that he's been banned now, so hopefully we get a more balanced mix of music suggestions going forward.  Was honestly getting tired of his metal spam, stopped following all these threads.  But now I'm back :)
Wow, how unfair of you.
Taffy never ever spammed. He never repeatingly posted the same content.
And he said multiples times to either ask for other genres or through appreciation message box if you liked it so he could post other stuff of the similar genre.
He posted a wide audio palette too, not just metal. Made me discover hip-hop, jazz fusion, hard rock, psychedelic rock, prog rock, postrock, djent, piano chill mood stuff, other types I can't even remember and this is coming from someone that still dislikes metal in general.

IIRC, he or his wife had request the ban. And I truly hope hope I'm wrong saying this, but seeing his location tag change "land of his fathers", I'm afraid he passed away.

@brooko could you or a mod pm me about his status?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #78 of 206
Wow, how unfair of you.
And he said multiples times to either ask for other genres or through appreciation message box if you liked it so he could post other stuff of the similar genre.
He posted a wide audio palette too, not just metal. Made me discover hip-hop, jazz fusion, hard rock, psychedelic rock, prog rock, postrock, djent, piano chill mood stuff, other types I can't even remember and this is coming from someone that still dislikes metal in general.

IIRC, he or his wife had request the ban. And I truly hope hope I'm wrong saying this, but seeing his location tag change "land of his fathers", I'm afraid he passed away.

"land of my fathers" is also the Wales national anthem, so could be that
i think posting 5 or 6 albums the same day maybe a little overkill, but also understandable trying to get a thread going

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #79 of 206

Taffy wasn't metal obsessed - he liked a wide variety of music, and some of my favourite Indy artists now were found because he posted the links.

And he wasn't banned either.  He asked us to de-register his account - so he could concentrate on other things.  Thats why his account reads:
 taffy2207
  1. Account de-registered by request

It might show the "banned" tag - but its the only way we can do it with the software we use.  Personally I miss Taffy - and his input.  I'd post more (music) if I had the time.  I was never a metal fan - but he posted some truly great artists from other genres.

Not 100% sure - but it may have even been him that introduced me to these guys
https://jocelynandchrismusic.bandcamp.com/album/edges

I'll always be grateful to him for that one.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #80 of 206
ere's an old favorite of mine

derp, can never remember how to embed
https://theobservatory.bandcamp.com/track/olives

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #81 of 206
Wow, how unfair of you.

It was spam in the sense that it was way too many posts at a time, kind of hard to follow everything, so I just started ignoring it all.  When posts come in more sparingly it's easier to follow and to give those artists a listen.  With Taffy around, if you weren't on the site for a few days you would have to comb to 50+ posts, kind of excessive.  Great that he was so enthusiastic, but in my opinion he was overdoing it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #82 of 206
Some pretty great finds on here already - liking metal I guess helps :wink:

I grab stuff from bandcamp now and then. The two albums I listen to a lot are
Quixotic and the human experience - From the Outside Looking in

Chill electronics, available for whatever price you name. Great for writing computer code to

Les Soeurs Boulay - 4488 de l'Amour

French-Canadian folk. Their first album was great too - won all sorts of awards as well I think.

If These Trees Could Talk- Above the Earth, Below the Sky

The first album of this post-rock group is lacking a bit in production, but makes up for it in the compositions. Think something like a more prog version of Explosions in the Sky

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #83 of 206
I posted on another thread about Dead Meadow. Well, Jason Simon, the band's guitarist, has a solo album out with a selection of music that cuts across the folk and rock genres, though some of it remains rooted in psychedelia. Well worth a listen.

Familiar Haunts by Jason Simon

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #84 of 206
If you like your music a bit out of the ordinary, take a listen to Alicia Merz's project, Birds of Passage - Winter Lady is an album of haunting beauty, with Alicia's voice over a minimalist drone backgroud. Stunning.

Winter Lady by birds of passage

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #85 of 206
Cool. Reminds me a little of this https://foveahex.bandcamp.com/track/we-sleep-you-bloom

Liking this Chicago Underground Duo jam since it popped up in the feed:

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #86 of 206
Excellent riposte! I'm a fan of Clodagh Simonds and managed to get a copy of the 3cd set, though unfortunately mised out on the 6cd box by a whisker.

The Chicago / London Underground track on there has me tempted just to buy that album. Thanks for the heads-up.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #87 of 206

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #88 of 206
For those of us who regularly use BC to buy music will have seen the BC Daily -Everything is Terrific: The Bandcamp 2016 Year in Review - for the rest, I'll post it here.

Whilst there are many who still must have the physical media, for the most part (apart from my fave bands and local artists), I'll stick to digital. And, for the most part, I want the artist to be paid a fair rate for their work (i.e. not Spotify or their ilk). I have relented slightly in that if my wife wants something to put on her ipod, I'll often look for a free mp3 download. I don't feel guilty as I spend a good chunk of my disposable income on music, be it live or recorded. plus non-musical merch  (t-shirts, etc).

Out of interest, what do other Head-Fi'ers do with their digital collection? Apart from my DAP and some albums on my pc, everything is backed up on two HDs. Just in case...

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/24/everything-is-terrific-the-bandcamp-2016-year-in-review/

And now some genuinely great news in an otherwise unremarkable week: every aspect of Bandcamp’s business was up in 2016. Digital album sales grew 20%, tracks 23%, and merch 34%. Growth in physical sales was led by vinyl, which was up 48%, and further boosted by CDs (up 14%) and cassettes (up 58%). Every single one of these numbers represents an acceleration over last year’s growth. Hundreds of thousands of artists joined Bandcamp in 2016, more than 2,000 independent labels came on board (like Dischord, Merge, and Dualtone), and the rate of fan signups tripled. Fans have now paid artists nearly $200 million using Bandcamp, and they buy a record every three seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The record business overall did not fare as well. According to Nielsen, it grew 3% in the U.S. in 2016, while sales of digital albums fell 20%, tracks were down 25%, and physical albums dropped 14%. These declines are not at all surprising given the industry-wide push toward subscription music rental offerings, and indeed as the year came to a close, those services reached a combined 100 million paying subscribers. This milestone is being celebrated by some, but it is not good news for the vast majority of artists, and poses some serious problems for fans, labels, and music as an art form.
As more people subscribe to music rental services, the already paltry rates paid to artists are going down (and no, artists don’t necessarily make it up in volume). But it’s not only artists who are struggling. The companies built solely around subscription music rental continue to struggle as well. Some say the model is simply broken. The success of Netflix is often used as a counterargument, but the music business is not the movie business.

Longer term, if subscription music rental can’t work as a standalone business, then it will only exist as a service offered by corporate behemoths to draw customers into the parts of their businesses where they do make money, like selling phones, service plans, or merchandise. And when the distribution of an entire art form is controlled by just two or three nation-state-sized companies, artists and labels will have even less leverage than they do now to set fair rates, the music promoted to fans will be controlled by a small handful of gatekeepers, and more and more artists will be hit with the one-two punch of lower rates and less exposure. The net effect for music as a whole is worrisome.

Bandcamp provides an alternative to all of this because we feel strongly that an alternative needs to exist. The fact that we continue to grow, and that that growth is accelerating, tells us that many of you agree. We’ll therefore continue to build on a model that compensates artists fairly and puts them in control of their data, gives fans all the convenience of streaming plus the benefits of ownership and still allows them to directly support the artists they love, and works as a standalone business that’s 100% focused on music (we just had our 17th straight profitable quarter, while also increasing our staff by 43% last year). Impending thermonuclear apocalypse notwithstanding, we are incredibly enthusiastic about 2017. At least two of the half dozen things we’ll launch this year will astound you, and one may even cause you to make an unexpected vacation detour. We can’t wait. Thank you for being a part of it!

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #90 of 206
  @j4100 haha finyl and cassettes sales are up: bandcamp has always been a good place for hipsters :wink: Good news for BC though. It's nice that they can provide a bit of a balance to the major record labels.

Heh. Can't believe I had to buy a couple of cassettes to get the download (it was a cassette-only release, but being on BC, you got the download as well). I liked the convience of tape for my 80s walkman, but hated everything else about it. Rarely buy vinyl and only recenly managed to get rid of most of my vinyl (except classical and jazz) in a job lot to a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back