***The Audiophile DJ***
Aug 19, 2003 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vandit

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys i need some help.

i am an aspiring dj and i would really love to get some top notch speakers and amp for home use to match my top notch dj equipment. (i set this up in my home)

i have...

2x Technics SL-1210MK5G
2x Ortofon Concorde Nightclub S
1x Allen and Heath Xone62

here are the connectors at the back of my mixer
xone62_connectors_hires.htm

i want to get the b&w dm602 s2 bookshelf speakers ...

what kinda amp should i get to accompany this? do i need a reciever? if so what kinda reciever to accompany my

i have an option to connect with either balanced xlr (first choice), 1/4 balanced jack (2nd choice), and rca out (third choice)

thank you for helping me out
smily_headphones1.gif

ohh yea price range is around hmm 0-1000

- vandit

Aug 19, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 12
just a stereo amp; more bang for the buck...

check out things by NAD, Rotel, Marantz (especially)

the 602s are great bassy speakers, perfect for DJing and an amp at around £2-300 should do them justice... also great with non-DJing tasks.... i think you should check out the Marantz offerings most carefully, could be just what you want!

g

Aug 20, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by vandit
anything great in specific?

how many watts does this amp need to be?

do i need a reciever?

Well, do you need a radio? Then you do need a reciever.
I don't normaly care for a reciever since radio induce too many noise in a cct. ( quite often power supply also is compromised, too. 10lb **** in 5lb bag. )

Btw, how is the mk5 version?
wink.gif

Hard to find a 1k amp with XLR inputs, but used Krell or Bryston amps ( they both have XLR inputs )should be able to drive the B&W. They like whatever the current you can give especially for the music of your choice. Preferably high quality clean power.

Or, if you can swing it, check out ATC active speakers. They absolutely kick ass with electronia.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
[B
Btw, how is the mk5 version?
wink.gif

Or, if you can swing it, check out ATC active speakers. They absolutely kick ass with electronia.
biggrin.gif
[/B]

actually ur right, i did some research on the ATC Active 10 Speakers, and man do they rock for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif

how much do these active 10's cost generally (lowest price also) are there any "online" retailers where i can buy these speakers?

how can i find a store around my area that carries these speakers so i can demo them?

btw, although i have no experience with the "MK2, MK3D's" i must say the MK5 series has a motor pickup improvement higher quality rca cables, improved tonearm, pitch up to +16 now, reset button.. all the works
smily_headphones1.gif

- vandit

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 12
he means a surround receiver, not a radio tuner... you do not need a receiver!

just shop around, see what you like and stuff... just remember you won't be playing your system out and about, so if all you do is DJ with it, i wouldn't bother spending too much!

g

Aug 22, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

how much do these active 10's cost generally (lowest price also) are there any "online" retailers where i can buy these speakers?

how can i find a store around my area that carries these speakers so i can demo them?

I *think* around 2k? not sure. And you rarely find 'em used since people tend to keep em around.

They are so hopelessly low-key. That's part of the problem to find a local dealer to demo 'em.
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

i have...

2x Technics SL-1210MK5G
2x Ortofon Concorde Nightclub S
1x Allen and Heath Xone62

i remember i auditioned the little Allen & Heath battle mixer (32? X? can't remember...)..the highs were rolled off.. but it blows every DJ mixer in know with its sound quality. mids were its strong part, never heardsuch mids coming from DJ gear.
did you have the chance to compare?
nice ghear anyway... consider Finalscratch sometime if you're creating music or have digital music to mix.
which kind of music do you mix?

Aug 23, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 12
Any decent poweramp will work. You already have the mixer so why buy a receiver, or even integrated amp?

That said, save your money for lots of "top notch" vinyl and PRACTICE! Make like-minded friends- this will fast-track your progress/learning curve.

All the best equipment isn't going to make an ounce of difference. The best DJs learnt on crappy decks, crap headphones connected to their home stereo. You won't be surprised to find that most musicians also started on ordinary instruments- guitairs, drumkits, pianos etc.

You need burning desire, committment, and hard work.

Look on Ebay to see the rise in number of second-hand DJ turntables/mixers to see the number of casulties...

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 12
hey........ you need a sub, man, if you're gonna use those 602's. if you're gonna listen to dance music on those, you are REALLY gonna be dissappointed.

as for powered monitors, i believe the pro atc's i've seen are over $3000/pair for monitors the same size as your 602's. i don't think they make stuff cheaper. i wouldn't buy them anyway for dance music without a sub.

if you're going the powered path, there are plenty of pro monitors with enough bass... you'll need something with at least a 8" woofer. the most popular one in your price range is the Event 20/20 BAS system. can get a pair on ebay for $500 used. if you can splurge a little, the Mackie 824 is REALLY good. they are probably the most popular pro monitor besides the yamaha's in the US today. check it out:

http://www.mackie.com/products/hr824/index.html

response down to 40hz at -1.5db. hard to beat that for a small monitor.

AND, if you ever have more cash lying around, you can add their matched sub later on, which i assure you will give you PLENTY of bass.

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
hey........ you need a sub, man, if you're gonna use those 602's. if you're gonna listen to dance music on those, you are REALLY gonna be dissappointed.

the 602's are real bassy and i reckon you'd be spending the same again on a sub that sounds any good whatsoever with music!

g

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 12
i REALLY doubt they are that bassy. read this article:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/nht_a20.htm

they compare the monitors i own to the B&W 805's.. a pair of B&W speakers about 4x more expensive than the lower end 603's.

i can tell you, the a-20's are not bassy. they are pretty much as flat as i have heard. super speakers. what i interpret the article as saying is that the 805's lack bass!

anyway... believe what you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back