The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,624 of 1,853
How is the Q40 in terms of build quality, comfort?

I'm still rocking the Q40's as my main closed can since a long time back. I swapped mine with a pair of thick HM5 pads, which seemed to increase comfort by quite a large margin. Sonically, subbass might have gotten a smidge more pronounced and soundstage is definitely wider. Vocals aren't as intimate but I find them to be clearer now and less shouty. 

The build is not that good to be honest. The plastic its made of is decent, however the exposed (and thin) wiring means that its really easy to damage the wires. This is my main gripe with it in terms of build. Comfort (stock) isn't that good either. The stock pads feel very cheap and wear out easily and quickly. And the clamp, its tight. Really tight. 

In terms of sound though, I think they're an excellent investment, especially at their current price point ($78). I find that they have a very enjoyable sound signature. Elevated bass with good mids and highs. 

Oh, and also, the stock cable is horrible. Extremely horrible. I got a red V-Moda cable for mine, it looks fantastic with it. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,627 of 1,853
Tried out the SONY MDR-XB90EXs some time ago. Is it me or are these iems way underpriced for the sub bass it can deliver? It is my understanding that iems can have more sub bass than headphones due to its seal. As a frame of reference, these beat the sub bass of my DT 770s and HE 400s.  What are some iem/headphone alternatives for those that have also tried these?

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,628 of 1,853
  Tried out the SONY MDR-XB90EXs some time ago. Is it me or are these iems way underpriced for the sub bass it can deliver? It is my understanding that iems can have more sub bass than headphones due to its seal. As a frame of reference, these beat the sub bass of my DT 770s and HE 400s.  What are some iem/headphone alternatives for those that have also tried these?

Denon C300 are a good basshead IEM. However, at their current price of $217, I cannot recommend them whatsoever. I got mine for $70 new. Don't know why prices have rocketed. 

If you can find them for under $100, I'd say go for it. A piece of warning though: 
1. These are extremely sensitive and will hiss with everything you plug them into, unless you got a really low output impedance source.
2. If you plug them to a high ouptput impedance source, you will find them to be veiled and muffled. 
3. Although this is very subjective, I had horrible fit issues. I can't begin to describe how bad the fit was.

Despite that, I think they are a great pair of IEM's - if you get them to fit right with the right source. They have really deep, tight subbass and midbass so powerful it can cure people who don't like bass. Extremely enjoyable for Hip-Hip/ Rap, electronic, as well as 70's Funk - what I'm listening to right now. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,632 of 1,853
The k7xx with the bass port mod actually has a nice amount of quantity while still retaining most of its quality 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,633 of 1,853
Hey all.

I think we're gonna have a new addition to this thread, Kennerton Audio's Laguz. I have the pleasure to demo it at lendmeurears' new store at Adelphi Singapore #4-16.

One word I would describe the bass, amazing. Very deep extension and lots of rumble. Impact is a way above average. The quality of the bass is amazing. The lower notes accuracy is beautiful.

However they have recessed mids and highs. The treble roll-off is earlier than average. The sound is dark and very smooth. It was a pleasure to listen to it and I really loved the bass. The clarity in the rest of the range is average and can fall below average.

For bass heads this is the earphones for you. They also come with a stock braided cable. One side with one side left. Two cables per side and a quad braid below the y-split. No sheath. Looks extremely good too!! Tips felt pretty average and will definitely benefit from better tips.

Should I get this or an Aurisonics ASG 1.3 revision? The asg are secondhand.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,634 of 1,853
Hey all.

I think we're gonna have a new addition to this thread, Kennerton Audio's Laguz. I have the pleasure to demo it at lendmeurears' new store at Adelphi Singapore #4-16.

One word I would describe the bass, amazing. Very deep extension and lots of rumble. Impact is a way above average. The quality of the bass is amazing. The lower notes accuracy is beautiful.

However they have recessed mids and highs. The treble roll-off is earlier than average. The sound is dark and very smooth. It was a pleasure to listen to it and I really loved the bass. The clarity in the rest of the range is average and can fall below average.

For bass heads this is the earphones for you. They also come with a stock braided cable. One side with one side left. Two cables per side and a quad braid below the y-split. No sheath. Looks extremely good too!! Tips felt pretty average and will definitely benefit from better tips.

Should I get this or an Aurisonics ASG 1.3 revision? The asg are secondhand.

What other basshead IEMs have you heard that you can compare them against? Not that I don't believe these are for bassheads, but I've been burned more than a dozen times buying "basshead" IEMs that are really just earphones with a mid-bass hump.

Anything on this list that you can compare them with? http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphones/

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,635 of 1,853

What other basshead IEMs have you heard that you can compare them against? Not that I don't believe these are for bassheads, but I've been burned more than a dozen times buying "basshead" IEMs that are really just earphones with a mid-bass hump.

Anything on this list that you can compare them with? http://www.basshead.club/top-10/top-10-basshead-earphone

I cannot compare these against any on the list so I will apologize for my hasty conclusion.

I have just come off a T1-E  and a KZ ED9. I'm young, 18 , and i really enjoy bass. My favourite music is Rap and R&B. The Kennerton Laguz definitely has more mid-bass than both of them. What made me come to the conclusion that they are basshead were some new, very deep and slightly soft notes in my music that made me go woah. There was an abundance of bass. They were running straight out of my Xuelin ihifi 770C. The bass was quite overpowering.

@Luckbad i may be right, or i may more likely be wrong but I do hope you would have the chance to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back