The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,291 of 1,853
out of interest, how you you rank them in bass quantity? in overall bass (quantity and quality) it would be pretty much the same as above?

The only thing I'd say is that since listening to them side-by-side for over a month I'd move the Denon 7000 ahead of the Z7 overall and bass response. There's just something about the Denon bass with Lawton mods that is just so tight.

Any of you listen to a HE-6 out of a vintage? Talk about visceral bass. Really incredible.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,292 of 1,853
The only thing I'd say is that since listening to them side-by-side for over a month I'd move the Denon 7000 ahead of the Z7 overall and bass response. There's just something about the Denon bass with Lawton mods that is just so tight.

in terms of bass quantity (disregarding quality/tightness), where would you place the Z7 amongst the old denons?

my take seems to be that the Z7 tames the highs of the denons (which is what i'm after), but has more mid-bass and less sub-bass. ideally i think i would like the sub-bass of the denons with the highs of the Z7.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,293 of 1,853
How does a mint 70s Onkyo or Sherwood sound Capri? In my opinion, Sherwood is a very underrated brand and that's not a bad thing cause you can pickup some real gems for cheap. I have a Sherwood 2620B pumping out 100w/ch and it manhandles pretty much every driver and the power supply is as big as a full size desktop computer. The HE6 is a fantastic pairing with it with the gobs of power available m

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #1,294 of 1,853
How does a mint 70s Onkyo or Sherwood sound Capri? In my opinion, Sherwood is a very underrated brand and that's not a bad thing cause you can pickup some real gems for cheap. I have a Sherwood 2620B pumping out 100w/ch and it manhandles pretty much every driver and the power supply is as big as a full size desktop computer. The HE6 is a fantastic pairing with it with the gobs of power available m

Either one sounds good... Whatever you reckon would pair best with my D2000!

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,295 of 1,853
I would pair the Onkyo. It's beautiful and very much on the neutral side of things while the Sherwoods like to party and can be bass monsters. The D2000 will be begging for mercy at just 2 points on the volume attenuator. No low quality volume pots here only high quality stepped attenuators.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,296 of 1,853
in terms of bass quantity (disregarding quality/tightness), where would you place the Z7 amongst the old denons?

my take seems to be that the Z7 tames the highs of the denons (which is what i'm after), but has more mid-bass and less sub-bass. ideally i think i would like the sub-bass of the denons with the highs of the Z7.

Very comparable in quantity and agree it would be more mid bass than the incredible sub bass if the Denons. When I go bak and goth, which I am this morning with my stok D5000's, the signature is close and the bass is the real differentiation point. A little bit more treble energy with the Denons as well.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,298 of 1,853
Very nice............

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,299 of 1,853
i listened to some DJ Magic Mike last night for old times sake.  it's not as cool as i remember when i was a kid.  it still thumps but the production quality is pretty weak.  it still brought a smile to my face tho.  f-f-f-f-feel the BASS!!!!!

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,300 of 1,853
Yeah I really love that feeling of listening to some music you used to like long ago, even if it usually doesn't sound as good as you remember. I had that with Pendulum recently, it didn't sound as awesome as I remember yet I was still smiling at the end of "Blood Sugar."

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #1,301 of 1,853
Getting into headphones in the last two years has allowed me to revisit my entire music library including stuff that I used to listen to in the 70s and 80s.

It's really pretty cool when you start getting better equipment now then you've ever had in your life and hearing things you've NEVER heard before. That to me is the real benefit of headphones.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,302 of 1,853

TTPOD-T1E, ATH IM50/IM70, JVC Victor line IEMs, and Shure SE215-K or CL are some that I have heard are pretty good. The TTPODs and ATHs are dual driver as well. I haven't tried any of these nor am I sure they will fit what you want as I am not an IEM person, but they are said to have good bass. 

Thanks for the recs X

I actually decided to go with these but seems there is some minor debate as to which are better out of those IMs

Most seem to lean towards the 50s as the general consensus being the 70s not worth the extra cost but IDK

Do you have or did you use previously any that you suggested? 

Any other recs from anyone else?

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,303 of 1,853
We love them, so much.

They get a LOT of praise here. 

Don't stress mate - that 1.8w and 2.1w rating is when the amp is turned all the way UP. Even then, what you're reading isn't a hard and fast ruleset, but just a guide.

You have nothing to fear!
It is a theoretical limit as well, based on a number of factors... If you could pump more than about 500mw into the JVCs without them being able to be heard down the end of the street, I'd be damned impressed... - Kind of in a way that a Bugatti Veyron can do 260mph, doesn't mean you'll ever actually get that fast...

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,304 of 1,853
Thanks for the recs X the
The 50's are excellent, vsonic vsd3, also audio technica ath-cks77 solid bass. All good choices IMO.
I actually decided to go with these but seems there is some minor debate as to which are better out of those IMs

Most seem to lean towards the 50s as the general consensus being the 70s not worth the extra cost but IDK

Do you have or did you use previously any that you suggested? 

Any other recs from anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back