The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
May 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #211 of 1,853
Does anyone know of some good amps under $80 that have good sub-bass boost? I'll be upgrading form an E6 soon.

Everyone keeps forgetting the Fiio E07k! It's an amazing and feature packed amp\dac\eq for the price!

May 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #212 of 1,853
Everyone keeps forgetting the Fiio E07k! It's an amazing and feature packed amp\dac\eq for the price!

I didn't forget it, I just didn't think it was relevant considering that he asked for amp recommendations and not amp/dac combos.

May 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #213 of 1,853
I didn't forget it, I just didn't think it was relevant considering that he asked for amp recommendations and not amp/dac combos.

But it can be used as an amp only, cost only a bit more than the E11 and sounds WAAAY better IMO.

May 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #215 of 1,853
Here is the latest update on the ZO3, straight from the source:

(Ping @MizMoxie @RPGWiZaRD )

Thanks Oregonian!

Yes, I do have some updates. =)
We have made significant progress, it just may seem slow-going as there's really only 1 person working on the ZO3 - Paul. This version is also waaayyy more advanced than previous ZOs, so that aspect (along with performing *extensive* testing and getting set up with the right manufacturers), has definitely extended the timeline.

But, I have 3 pieces of good news...

1) All the components are on order, and should be arriving by the end of May/beginning of June. As soon as they are received, we'll begin manufacturing.

2) I'm in the process of getting the website set up to start taking pre-orders.

3) **SmartVektor technology is now officially patented!!** YAYAYAYAY! 
L3000.gif

May 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #218 of 1,853
Hey guys. Fellow basshead here (I have an 11KW substage in my vehicle), looking for another headphone. While 20-50hz bass on rap/electronic tracks is my first priority, I listen to many other types of music, so I want one that has excellent (but not necessary outstanding) SQ across the board. Right now I have a DT770 Pro 80 ohm which has decent bass EQ'D. For portable use I have a Sony MDRX10 which has great bass, but slightly muddy otherwise.

From what I understand, the JVC HA-SZ2000 is the current reigning king of bass. However, I've heard mixed reviews on its SQ otherwise, and I'd much rather buy something that's distributed in the USA rather than roll the dice with importers. So are there any others on the list that are very close to the JVC in bass output? Or is it not even a contest? (If it's not even a contest I probably will just bite the bullet and go with the JVC).

May 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #219 of 1,853
I don't know if this is against the rules or something, but I'm currently selling my V-Moda Crossfade LP2. They're pretty much everything you could ever want if you're looking for a portable basshead can imo. There's a link in my signature.

May 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #220 of 1,853
 I'll look at all of the recommended amps so far, but which one would work best for sub-bass and mid-bass? I've got Q40s and a bump in those two will make it perfect. Also, should I bother getting velour pads for these? I'm fine with the comfort, if it will tighten the bass I'd be interested. Thanks for all of the help so far. :)

May 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #221 of 1,853
Hey guys. Fellow basshead here (I have an 11KW substage in my vehicle), looking for another headphone. While 20-50hz bass on rap/electronic tracks is my first priority, I listen to many other types of music, so I want one that has excellent (but not necessary outstanding) SQ across the board. Right now I have a DT770 Pro 80 ohm which has decent bass EQ'D. For portable use I have a Sony MDRX10 which has great bass, but slightly muddy otherwise.

From what I understand, the JVC HA-SZ2000 is the current reigning king of bass. However, I've heard mixed reviews on its SQ otherwise, and I'd much rather buy something that's distributed in the USA rather than roll the dice with importers. So are there any others on the list that are very close to the JVC in bass output? Or is it not even a contest? (If it's not even a contest I probably will just bite the bullet and go with the JVC).

If you like bass, I recommend the Razer Kraken. Head rattling bass with good sq for $60. Even better with an amp. The X10 don't have any bass compared to these.

May 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #222 of 1,853
If you like bass, I recommend the Razer Kraken. Head rattling bass with good sq for $60. Even better with an amp. The X10 don't have any bass compared to these.

The Kraken is basshead-worthy, but it has to be EQ'd first. The Kraken is extremely bloated in the upper bass, which masks the headphone-rattling, head-massaging bass that I love it for. Also, it will reveal some crazy rumble in the sub-bass, which made me go What the first time. Believe me, I would never listen to these headphones without EQ.

Since it's summer, I don't think I could listen to it for more than 15 minutes, but if you stay in a cool enough room to offset the heating up in your ears, then welcome to comfort. They're nothing against Beyer's velour pads, though. 
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #223 of 1,853
The Kraken is basshead-worthy, but it has to be EQ'd first. The Kraken is extremely bloated in the upper bass, which masks the headphone-rattling, head-massaging bass that I love it for. Also, it will reveal some crazy rumble in the sub-bass, which made me go What the first time. Believe me, I would never listen to these headphones without EQ.

Since it's summer, I don't think I could listen to it for more than 15 minutes, but if you stay in a cool enough room to offset the heating up in your ears, then welcome to comfort. They're nothing against Beyer's velour pads, though. :D  

I just use the stock eq settings on my phone, and the eq on my amp. These cans are pretty fun when eq'd property. Which is easy. They respond well to an eq. I., myself don't have a problem with the bass. I enjoy it. Especially on Rap and Hip hop

May 12, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #224 of 1,853
Oho, you're willing to stretch your budget :veryevil:  (welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet)

There's hardly anything in the $80 and under price range that will satisfy your wants. Scale up to roughly $200 and there are far more options e.g. ZO3 (probably will be under $200, don't think its confirmed yet though), Arrow 3G, JDS C5 and E12 (new). I have personally auditioned the E12 and C5 and can testify to their bass boosts. Again, these suggestions are off the top of my head.
You also have the E18 which can double as a portable dac as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back