The Audiophile’s Dilemma: Finding Well-Produced Albums
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dragonmilenario

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, as I upgrade my equipment and everything becomes more distinguishable and clear, I also notice that errors and problems in recordings become more noticeable.

Does the same thing happen to all of you?

I’m noticing more and more albums that are poorly produced, whether it’s clipping in the bass, distortion in the vocals, unbalanced highs, even albums that I thought were well produced in the past… I think that well-produced albums are a rare find.

Is this the price to pay for become an audiophile?

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes that's the the beauty and the curse of good audio equipment. It makes you appreciate a good recorded album even more and gives you a glance of the recording process. I personally enjoy to analyse these little details that you mentioned, like a wine connoisseur does.
Sometimes I use less resolving headphones or iems to enjoy a poorly recorded/mastered album, to just enjoy the music without taking it apart.

Now I'm curious what album you think it's the best recorded in your collection?

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes this is something I've noticed over the years for sure. I remember listening to a song by Vanessa Carlton that up until then, I had never heard on good equipment before, and I remember hearing all this clipping and I was thinking wow that's extremely obvious. But of course it always sounded 'good' on cheap stuff and whatnot.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I was shocked to hear how poorly Mamas and Papas recordings were when I started upgrading my gear. Just shows that just like good and poor music audio technicians are the same, A really small number really know what they are doing.

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I was shocked to hear how poorly Mamas and Papas recordings were when I started upgrading my gear. Just shows that just like good and poor music audio technicians are the same, A really small number really know what they are doing.
I found the same... in fact, I don't think I have anything from the 60s. 70s is better but... and this might be blasphemy... I must admit don't like many of Stevie Wonder's records on my expensive setup... they're so overly warm! 🙉 However, Marvin Gaye's What's Goin On, for example? Wooooow.

Also, even back in the 80s on a Sony Walkman with the bundled headphones I could hear how they absolutely messed up Jennifer Rush's Movin' album, and it's one of my favourites. How come nobody has remastered it yet? Then again, even remastered 80s stuff is barely tolerable. The early digital era basically ruined an entire decade (and then grunge ruined the 90s)! 🙊

On the plus side, I'm now listening to artists I've never been into before. Anything from Dominique Fils-Aimé and Sons of Kemet is just amazing!

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 12
In a certain way I have become more shallow in my appreciation for music. I tend to dismiss poorly recorded classical music more and more easily in favor of good sounding recordings, not giving the inferior recorded performance a chance, while It may well be a more superior reading of that particular work. In my defense: there are so many great recordings of a certain classical piece so why not shortlist only the good sounding ones? With alternative pop and rock this is less of an issue or no issue at all, the bands I enjoy tend to be more lo-fi, well at least it was at a certain time. Guided by Voices' Alien Lanes for instance sounds so horrible, but I love that record.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Look no further that AIXRECORDS.COM (Physical media) or their digital media site itrax.com

The very purest recordings available. Recorded in their studio with no mastering, mixing or any other effects.
Hear the music as if you were in the room with the artists.

Sep 15, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 12
soundliaison.com check out their one mic recordings

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Hey guys, as I upgrade my equipment and everything becomes more distinguishable and clear, I also notice that errors and problems in recordings become more noticeable.

Does the same thing happen to all of you?

I’m noticing more and more albums that are poorly produced, whether it’s clipping in the bass, distortion in the vocals, unbalanced highs, even albums that I thought were well produced in the past… I think that well-produced albums are a rare find.

Is this the price to pay for become an audiophile?
Some system upgrades are simply emotionally gratifying. Some are only marginally significant from a sound standpoint. And some upgrades are so impactful and important that they remain life-altering for years and years. I’ve had two of the latter: The AR9’s and the Legacy Signature SE’s. But every upgrade, both large and small, has been met with anticipation, excitement, and enjoyment. This is a hobby—more than just a mere “hobby,” right standing posture?—of almost indescribable joy and importance. Although the equipment varies from enthusiast to enthusiast, we all share the same emotions and feelings, don’t we?
Steve Feinstein takes us on his journey as an audiophile over the decades and how the experiences shaped his life and relationships with music and loved ones.

Many people have developed an emotional attachment to a particular brand over the years and their assemblage of AV units always includes one or more devices from that brand. Some system upgrades are simply emotionally gratifying. Some are only marginally significant from a sound standpoint. And some upgrades are so impactful and important that they remain life-altering for years and years.

ar15.jpg

AR 50T Tower Speakers- circa 1987

Some system upgrades are simply emotionally gratifying. Some are only marginally significant from a sound standpoint. And some upgrades are so impactful and important that they remain life-altering for years and years. I’ve had two of the latter: The AR9’s and the Legacy Signature SE’s. But every upgrade, both large and small, has been met with anticipation, excitement, and enjoyment. This is a hobby—more than just a mere “hobby,” right?—of almost indescribable joy and importance. Although the equipment varies from enthusiast to enthusiast, we all share the same emotions and feelings, don’t we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back