The Audio Technica Tuning Philosophy
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Arcamera

1000+ Head-Fier
Audio Technica (or audio technica) seems to have an unusual tuning philosophy, at least for the wooden closed-back headphones I've owned/tried. Is it fair to say they have a controversial tuning? (It reminds me a bit of the Audioquest NightHawk in this regard, which I love). If you have any familiarity with the AT wooden closed-backs, you will have to admit that they tend to really amplify the midrange/upper midrange, to the point where it can sound artificial, nasal, congested, honky (if one is describing it in a less charitable way), and they tend to make them bass-lite and overly bright. The whole presentation seems off, wrong, or not worthy of being seen as high fidelity. And yet-- they have an addictive quality that makes them hard to put down, for some of us at least. There's an accentuation in that midrange that can make them sound very detailed, and often beguiling to listen to. But then, they can quickly get too fatiguing and weird sounding, like talking into cupped hands, and I need a break. But then I want to put them on again! What is that AT sorcery? As addictive and tiring as cocaine.

Or am I the only one that hears AT headphones as odd? It makes me wonder what the audio engineers are thinking when they design an AT can. Has anyone ever heard an explanation from the company about their tuning? Some days I think they have a wonderful idiosyncrasy, a charming individuality, and other days I think the engineers must be putting a joke on us, it's so odd. I'm saying all this from familiarity, either through ownership or just spending time, with these woodies: the ATH-W5000, the Grandioso, the Maestoso, The ATH-AWAS, and The Japan (ATH-W3000ANV). Of those, the Japan is the best, and the one I really liked a lot, and would happily still have (but alas-- it is no longer in my possession, as it was the causality of a divorce, where it has been captive behind the enemy lines and, despite my pleas, she claims ignorance of their whereabouts.

If you are into the AT sound, all the power to you. I like it some days and think it's crazy on others. I'm not trying to start a fight about it, but really am looking for some insight on their distinctive sound. Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 2
my impression of the w5000 aligns with your description of a-t closed-back models. like you, i prefer the w3000anv, tho it sounds somewhat murkier to me. i've seen the w3000anv's frequency response described as "wonky", which is apt i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back