The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jul 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,339 of 1,431
Hi everyone,

I just received my first M50s, and I say first because there will definitely be a second if these wear out. I'm excited to listen as these burn in because the sound out of the box is great - good stage, deep bass, extended highs, and clear mids. What a great sound from such an inexpensive HP.

Will be looking to change out the pads soon. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,343 of 1,431
Hi guys.... Just a quick question...

I can get a pair of m50s for 80 euros (mint condition, 1 week of use with recipt and still 23 months of warranty...)...

Not that i really need them since i have a pairs of cal!s and v6s, só if i buy them it is just for puré curiosity becauae of all the hype (who knows.... Maybe i really end up liking them...)...

I listen to all types of music, specially rock (two door cinema club, artic monkeys, bloc party...), progressivo house and trance (stuff from enhanced and anjunabeats)...

Do you guys think for 80 euros it ia a goof buy and even if i still end up not liking them will i easilly get the money back (reselling value)?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #1,345 of 1,431
Quote:
Hi guys.... Just a quick question...

I can get a pair of m50s for 80 euros (mint condition, 1 week of use with recipt and still 23 months of warranty...)...

Not that i really need them since i have a pairs of cal!s and v6s, só if i buy them it is just for puré curiosity becauae of all the hype (who knows.... Maybe i really end up liking them...)...

I listen to all types of music, specially rock (two door cinema club, artic monkeys, bloc party...), progressivo house and trance (stuff from enhanced and anjunabeats)...

Do you guys think for 80 euros it ia a goof buy and even if i still end up not liking them will i easilly get the money back (reselling value)?

Cheers and sorry for the bother... :)

Really tough question for anyone but yourself to answer. Not a bad price, but not amazing either. The cans beet all my expectations and continue to impress me. But you might hate them. I think they are specifically great for Rock. But that's just my opinion.

Can you afford the gamble? It really comes down to that.

Good luck.

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,347 of 1,431
Quote:
Well i can... But to make matters worst i can also get a pairs of shure SRH 440 and a pairs of Philips uptown for 40 as well. Both combined cost 80 euros wich is the exact same price of the m50.... Now wich option? :)

I don't know the Philips, but I know the Shure's.
M50 still a better option... in my humble opinion.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,348 of 1,431
Quote:
Thanks mate, much appreciated - In the photo I was using velour DT250 pads. But since then, I've changed to BRAINWAVZ HM5/FISCHER FA003/JAYCAR pro monitor pads. Far more comfortable, I found.

The removable cable mod was pretty easy - if you know how to use a soldering iron!

Info available in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod/15

Quote:
So I put some (angled) HM5 pads on my M50s, and now they actually sound fantastic. It fixed the ridiculously small soundstage, and the top end doesn't sound as congested / fatiguing. 

They also isolate a lot better than the Shure 840/940s, and they fit the M50s drastically better, so they won't fall off. And the pads are sooooo soft and comfy it's ridiculous. 

They're $25.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

How is the change in SQ though in terms of bass and such? is it as drastic as the Shure's? and is the fit pretty much just like the m50 pads? My pads are starting to crack so I need a replacement pretty soon

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,349 of 1,431
It's been a long time since I listened to the M50s with the stock pads, what I did notice with the HM5 pads was that the sound doesn't feel as congested. There's slightly more separation and soundstage. Bass is pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back