The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
May 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,321 of 1,431
Listen today, again to Momentum, 1R and K551dj.
Fidelio X1 has a surprisiling great (sound and building) - but so far away from M50 sound.
basshead.gif

I press the button to a freshly boxed D7100.
Can´t get them demo around me. Hope that was wise...
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #1,322 of 1,431
So I put some (angled) HM5 pads on my M50s, and now they actually sound fantastic. It fixed the ridiculously small soundstage, and the top end doesn't sound as congested / fatiguing. 

They also isolate a lot better than the Shure 840/940s, and they fit the M50s drastically better, so they won't fall off. And the pads are sooooo soft and comfy it's ridiculous. 

They're $25.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

May 19, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,323 of 1,431
Quote:
So I put some (angled) HM5 pads on my M50s, and now they actually sound fantastic. It fixed the ridiculously small soundstage, and the top end doesn't sound as congested / fatiguing. 

They also isolate a lot better than the Shure 840/940s, and they fit the M50s drastically better, so they won't fall off. And the pads are sooooo soft and comfy it's ridiculous. 

They're $25.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

Thanks for the suggestion. 
smile.gif
 Unfortunately, the shipping costs to Sweden are higher than the price of the pads. 

May 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,325 of 1,431
Just resurrected the M50 from my cupboard and am currently trying it with some EQ applied to make it flatter. All I will add is that the M50 is a great buy that I still find mega enjoyable!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #1,326 of 1,431
I got my Denon D7100 and found a comparable loudness and sound signature to M50. With much more mids and a bit more treble. Same lovely deep bass impact. Work well on mobile sources.
M50 is still great but it have nothing against the Denon.

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,327 of 1,431
Just got a Fiio E7...and if I thought I liked the M50's before...wow. What a monumental difference. These headphones are finally living up to their true potential, and it's amazing. every sound is so crisp, and the audio quality is just spectacular. Getting a headphone dac/amp with these if your computer has a poor soundcard is a must. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #1,328 of 1,431
Quote:
Just got a Fiio E7...and if I thought I liked the M50's before...wow. What a monumental difference. These headphones are finally living up to their true potential, and it's amazing. every sound is so crisp, and the audio quality is just spectacular. Getting a headphone dac/amp with these if your computer has a poor soundcard is a must. 

I have a Xonar DG on my PC, Would an E7 still be worth? I was thinking of getting it but is kinda expensive and I dont know if the difference would be good enough.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,329 of 1,431
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Just resurrected the M50 from my cupboard and am currently trying it with some EQ applied to make it flatter. All I will add is that the M50 is a great buy that I still find mega enjoyable!

smily_headphones1.gif

Would you mind sharing your EQ settings?

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #1,330 of 1,431
I'll preface by saying that I do not know much about audio so perhaps another opinion should be sought. 

From what I understand, the Fiio E7 is a USB DAC OR an Amp, so it either acts as an external soundcard (thus bypassing and pretty much making useless Xonar DG) or making the music louder. When searching around on the forums before I bought the Fiio E7, a lot of people recommended simply installing a Xonar DG (which for me wasn't an option because I'm on a notebook), so I'd think they're of similar quality. That being said, I don't know much about them. Essentially, the Xonar DG and the Fiio E7 both (in my understanding) act as DACs and are very similar in quality. So it would be only useful as an amp/dac for future computers/laptops.

With that being said I'm super happy, possibly just get a Fiio e10 or something that is only an amp if your cans need them?

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,332 of 1,431
Did the removable cable mod, and made my own cable for my M50s as a test.

A few errors made, not enough heatshrink, braiding isn't perfect near the connectors, teflon might be better etc..

But hey, it was my first attempt :xf_eek:

All DIY equipment from Jaycar.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,333 of 1,431
I recently got my m50 replaced because I stepped on the long cable a bit too hard. So I have to burn in another pair. I'm at the 40 hour mark, and while they are sounding better, they have a bit more to go.
I find these to be surprisingly satisfying in the bass department, for me a well-rounded, smooth sound. Maybe not for bass heads but quite nice for me. Plenty of oomph!
They sound great with electronica (House, trance).
I use these when I'm sampling music on uutbe.
They are VERY well built.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #1,335 of 1,431
Thanks mate, much appreciated - In the photo I was using velour DT250 pads. But since then, I've changed to BRAINWAVZ HM5/FISCHER FA003/JAYCAR pro monitor pads. Far more comfortable, I found.

The removable cable mod was pretty easy - if you know how to use a soldering iron!

Info available in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553483/ath-m50-removable-cable-mod/15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back