The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #1,306 of 1,431
Quote:
Gotta say the highs got really better with burn in (at least IMO). My problem with bass imalance is slightly there, but is that subtle that Im starting to get along with it. I dont feel like returning them, I already had some problems with my last cans (Beyer COPs) and I want to keep those, Im tired of returning phones.

Only negative thing is that the bass got a little weaker  with burn in IMO. But is still enough. They're not basshead phones for sure, but will be more than enough for non-basshead people. Im loving those for melodic Trance music.

What's funny is that I haven't looked at this thread in well over a year (or so it seems).
And it's really great to see that these are still popular and appreciated.

As for your experiences... Yes! That's exactly what I, and many others, have experienced. The 'lessening' of the Bass actually seemed to me to be a 'tightening'. Less sloppy and boomy then they were straight out of the box. I'm grateful that they retained their punch.
And yes, the highs get less 'metalic' (as some called it) with burn-in.

These are great all-rounders. I've had mine for years, and they serve me very well.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,307 of 1,431
Quote:
go_quote.gif

so tempted to get them "used like new" on amazon

had to settle for SRH440s with 840 pads because i didn't have the little extra cash for the 50s. but these will hold me over until summer where i can upgrade.

I also saw them appear quite a few time. During summer there are a lot of "used" deals too because people need some money for vacations.

May 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,310 of 1,431
Are these ath m50 headphones that the great steven wilson and his band used in his latest album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYcnNdStvHE yes, then wow I'm impressed :) then this would be good headphones for silent practice and I'll be getting one. =)

May 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #1,312 of 1,431
I also still like mine.  I use them as semi portable.  I don't walk around with them, but use them in the library, coffee shop, etc.  I sometimes wonder if those who criticize have them amped.  Contrary to a lot of opinion I find these do benefit from portable amp when used with my ipod. 

May 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,314 of 1,431
Quote:
Do these need burn-ins ? Not really impressed with my M50s though burning in for quite some time ? Or maybe it needs an amp to power it ?

Typically burn-in changes the sound minimally if at all, with most headphones. In all the headphones I've owned, burn-in has occurred on many, but the changes have been so small that the general sound does not change all that much.
Bottom line, if you really don't like the overall tonality or sound of the M-50, burn-in will probably not change that.
The changes that have occurred in my M-50's have mostly been in the bass... a slight tightening, and very slight lessening. But that's been it, for me.

May 10, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #1,315 of 1,431
Bought my 3rd set of ATH M50's yesterday; my 3rd set over 
two years.  Sold the first two.

Why did I buy them?

I wanted a good pair of isolating closed headphones for the 
treadmill at the gym.  And to cart around as portables.
I'd rather not go around outside with either of my other
two closed headphones (which are both high quality Sony's).

Amazon had the ATH M50's for $103. shipped.

I thought hard about it - what's a better closed headphone
for $103?  Couldn''t think of any, so I made the purchase.
Always felt that they were well made, decent looking, 
good sounding headphones.  A step up from the 
Sony MDR V6/7506 IMO in SQ.

May 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,317 of 1,431
Quote:
This thread goes on and on.
I am not fully satisfied with the M50 sound and looking after an upgrade. But still find no more lovely sound signature then M50 until now.

I have found the perfect upgrade from the M-50 is the Denon D-7000 (stock).
Yep, if you like the basic sound signature of the M-50, you'll love the D-7k. It's similar in overall sound, but the refinement is brilliant. Clarity is greater, highs are more exact, and the lows are tighter and retain the punch.
And though they are not as sound insulated as the M-50... they are a closed can.

May 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,318 of 1,431
THX Shane,
I came to nearly the same conclusion. Therefore the D2000/D5000/D7000 is not any more avaiable I will give the D600 (D2000 successor) a chance.
Hope to find soon a Denon dealer for listening comparision (D600 vs. D7100).
Only the V-Moda M100 holds me back to pull the trigger immediately...
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,319 of 1,431
If you can live with an on-ear headphone, the Sennheiser HD25 and Amperior are a good upgrade from the ATH-M50, with a similar emphasis on bass and treble. The Amperior is slightly more neutral and refined and more of a real upgrade, while the HD25 is more like a sidegrade.

Perhaps the AKG Tiesto K267 and the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 might also be options for you. The Tiesto has a club sound and the Beyer is rather flat, but much better sounding than the M50.

May 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,320 of 1,431
Senns Momentum and Amperior great cans. SQ is as you described. I prefer a more bassy sound.
HD 25 -1 can be a good choice. Many said the HD25 is just a side step to M50.
Tiesto K267? 
Don´t know anything about it, yet. With 32 Ohm it should be driven easily very loud on a Ipod.
It is comparable to HDJ- 1500 /2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back