The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,292 of 1,431
Just got them some days ago and Im absolutely loving them (got the Limited Edition).

Gotta say theres something I noticed today, I dont know if im being paranoid, but it feels like the left side have SLIGHTLY more stronger than the right. I dont know if its me, or my ears (wouldnt discard that, my hearing isnt stellar....) or is just the music.
I wonder if theres something for test this.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,293 of 1,431
Quote:
Just got them some days ago and Im absolutely loving them (got the Limited Edition).

Gotta say theres something I noticed today, I dont know if im being paranoid, but it feels like the left side have SLIGHTLY more stronger than the right. I dont know if its me, or my ears (wouldnt discard that, my hearing isnt stellar....) or is just the music.
I wonder if theres something for test this.

If you're using foobar, you could use downmix channel to mono or reverse stereo channel to test if your cans is imbalance or not

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,294 of 1,431
Thanks a lot. Tried reversing stereo channels, didnt catch anything diferencies so I guess everything is ok and it was just me (maybe my left ear gets more sensitive after some time... i dunno).

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,295 of 1,431
Just got my ATH-M50 yesterday as a on-the-go headphone, using a AKG Q701 mostly at home.
What i noticed with the M50 is the highs(treble) is exceptionally sharp with female vocals or even electronica, is this normal?
It sometimes getting to the point where it sounds like it's distorted, bass is perfectly fine and wonderful punch just not liking the high and mids :frowning2: 

anyone has any solution? or did i get a faulty M50?

My source is FOOBAR>>X-FI titanium>>audiolab 2000a

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,297 of 1,431
Well I have to retract myself.

Yesterday I was listening to some lounge in bed before going to sleep and I could notice a slightly diference in the bass between both earpads. Is not really the bass, but the "rumble" of it (dont know how to say it), it was slightly more pronounced to my left side of my brain. Switching the cans made me feel it a little more in my right side.

I dont know if its something usual in those cans (being the power cable on the left side) or not :/ Of burning... or really is just me

My cans are the LE version btw. I will test them some more, maybe i will still keep them, the difference is kind of subtle, only reallynoticeable in some genres.

EDIT: I think is more noticeable with my Sansa Clip, and almost not (or probably not at all) noticeable on my PC (Xonar DGX). Could it be really the Clip?

EDIT2: After a long testing, yeah, its the Sansa Clip+ Anyone know if its normal behaviour?

Quote:
What i noticed with the M50 is the highs(treble) is exceptionally sharp with female vocals or even electronica, is this normal?

I noticed it at first, but is starting to get slightly with burn in

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,299 of 1,431
Gotta say the highs got really better with burn in (at least IMO). My problem with bass imalance is slightly there, but is that subtle that Im starting to get along with it. I dont feel like returning them, I already had some problems with my last cans (Beyer COPs) and I want to keep those, Im tired of returning phones.

Only negative thing is that the bass got a little weaker  with burn in IMO. But is still enough. They're not basshead phones for sure, but will be more than enough for non-basshead people. Im loving those for melodic Trance music.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,300 of 1,431
Someone should check these out. These are gel pads for an aviation version of the MDR-7506, but they should fit on the M50 as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367824-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_PA100G_HN_7506PA_100G_Gel_Filled_Earpads.html

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,301 of 1,431
Just purchased the AT-M50. Love the sound, was them or Shure 840. I listen from a HP dv7 laptop with flac music. Next step is to upgrade to a seperate DAC and Amp. Any suggestions ??? Anyone run a tube amp with these?? Price $200 - 800(Can) for both.
Was thinking of Schiit , but would like to hear what other Audio Tech m50 peeps are using.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,302 of 1,431
Quote:
Just purchased the AT-M50. Love the sound, was them or Shure 840. I listen from a HP dv7 laptop with flac music. Next step is to upgrade to a seperate DAC and Amp. Any suggestions ??? Anyone run a tube amp with these?? Price $200 - 800(Can) for both.
Was thinking of Schiit , but would like to hear what other Audio Tech m50 peeps are using.

I think the FiiO E-17 is a no-brainer. Great sound and build and price. I think I'll get one too. I dropped my netbook and now the sound out only works on the built in speakers and powered ext. speakers, the headphone output is dead. There's a thread about it on Head-Fi.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,303 of 1,431
hello all,
my m50 were great and all, but a few days back the left side broke, as in no sound came out whatsoever. i opened it up, and it started working again when i replaced the pieces, but whenever i put it all back together and back on my ears the left side stops working again. could anybody help me with this? oh, and i didnt go through with the warranty because i live in montreal and the whole thing was too much of a hassle (but i do regret it now), but i did get them through a verified dealer, soundprofessionals.

anybody help?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,304 of 1,431
Quote:
Just got my ATH-M50 yesterday as a on-the-go headphone, using a AKG Q701 mostly at home.
It sometimes getting to the point where it sounds like it's distorted, bass is perfectly fine and wonderful punch just not liking the high and mids :frowning2: 

anyone has any solution? or did i get a faulty M50?

My source is FOOBAR>>X-FI titanium>>audiolab 2000a

I have the Q701's as well and purchased the M50's more or less for on-the-go and when I listen to EDM music.I know they aren't the most bass-heavy headphones you'll find, but to me it's the right amount of bass. I do have them powered through an E12 and with the Jet Effects of my Cowon it seems to be 'just right'-- I wouldn't have it any other way. BUT, I did read many reviews about them straight out of the box being very recessed in the mids and that the highs were lacking in energy. So, I found a used pair for under a hundo and solved that problem right away 
tongue.gif
   Of course they won't compare to the Q701's but for the purpose that I bought them, they sealed the deal.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,305 of 1,431
so tempted to get them "used like new" on amazon

had to settle for SRH440s with 840 pads because i didn't have the little extra cash for the 50s. but these will hold me over until summer where i can upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back